Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does (egg) Size Matter?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about buying a BGE. I must admit that they are expensive enough that there is some guilt in buying one! The medium size is considerably less. I am hoping to do the occassional turkey, but mainly chicken & pork.
Anybody out there bought a medium and regreted not getting a large? Or are there any comments from small or medium owners?[p]Gracias!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Jody M,[p]I am a happy medium owner. Its great, but I have to admit, there are times I have wanted more space. Just las week I was cooking chicken wings and wanted a larger grill. I see a large in my future, but the medium has been fantastic![p]smokey.gif

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Jody M,
    My first Egg was a large. My kids got me a Mini for my birthday. I've been thinking about getting a med or sm but the more I think about it the more I think I will just get another lg. Cooking area etc. I understand, to some, that would be a waste of money but it just seems to make sense.
    If you can, spend the money and go large you won't regret it. There is a lifetime warranty and aside from a few items that may crack the dern things will last forever.

• I struggled bet. a med. and large, ended up buying the large. I added a small egg about a year later, primarily to cook side dishes and for solo meals. The small takes less charcoal, you can have it up and running in 5 minutes, and it cooks as well as the large. For me (family of 5,including an infant, a 3 year old, and a 5 year old), the large is a requirement. If I'm just cooking for me and my wife, the small egg is generally sufficient.[p]Which size you need depends on how many people you cook for. If you're cooking for one or two people primarily, the small or the med. will be fine 90% of the time, although it is hard to do meats AND sides on the grill at the same time. You can do turkey breasts, pork/beef tenderloin, and even Boston Butts on a small, but if you need to cook four big steaks or four chicken breasts plus corn and potatoes, you really need a large. Plus, if you are like 90% of us eggers, you'll find that the grill becomes your primary kitchen during the warm months. It's like having a second oven, and the extra size comes in handy.[p]It's hard to advise you given the facts presented, but if you'll cook for more than two or three people regularly, you should bite the bullet and get the large.[p]DSS
  • DrummerDawg
    Options
    Jody M,[p]I have a Medium and it suffices 95% of the time. I love it. I have had the medium for 4 months now and I have cooked most of the staples - chicken, turkey, boston butts, steaks, fish, wings, loins, hamburgers, shrimp, etc. Just this past weekend I cooked 8 chicken breasts without any problem with space. The only time I wish for a large (so far) has been when I wanted to cook several butts at once. I don't do vegetables on the Egg (yet) so grill space in that area hasn't been a problem. [p]Having said all that - it really came down to price for me. I had a budget and I bought all the Eggcessories (plus some) instead of going for the large. Had my budget been $150-$200 higher I would have definately gone for the Large - just to have that extra space when I needed it.[p]You will love either one. I just depends on your application which one will fit your needs the best.[p]DD
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Jody M,[p]My wife bought me a large for Christmas last year, but having had the year to cook (primarily for two), I would not even hesitate to get the large.[p]There have been too many times when I wanted to cook for the week and have multiple meals going at the same time, or had say two butterflyed (sp?) chickens going at the same time. [p]IMHO get the large, you will never regret it.[p]Cajun

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    newegg1.jpg
    <p />Jody M, I bought my first large a little over a year ago after almost buying a medium. As others have said the medium will do many if not most of your cooks without batting an eyelash. But........the few thing that you may want to do that the large is better for has been well worth the extra money to me. 6 racks of babybacks, multiple butts and ton of jerky are but a few thing that a large may be better for. If you can afford it, I would recommend a large, I liked mine so much I added another and a mini also. Whatever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy the great food that is ahead.[p]Chuck <><

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Jody M,
    I bought a medium due to the fact it was on sale. I have not regretted it one bit. I wanted a large at the time but the medium was on sale and the Ravnest said buy it.
    I use it three to four times a week and have cooked for six to eight people on occasion.
    If you want to see what can be done on a medium check out the link provided. Go to the photo essay section for a tour of what can be done. And I have only been at it since Christmas!

[ul][li]Ravnhaus' Medium EGg[/ul]
  • Jody M,[p]I have a large and wish I had a medium since
    I cook for 1 or 2 people 90% of the time.[p]The medium should use less charcoal and therefore
    will be more cost effective to operate over the
    long term(like a year). [p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jody M, if the price differential is more than $100, get the medium. You will enjoy it. And the best part is that if you finally decide you need a large, the price won't even faze you. After eating off the medium for a while, you'll not think twice about buying a large if you need it. It will seem to be a bargain.

• Jody M,
    I have had a medium for 3 years now and it works great for cooking even for a large family (my wife, 3 kids and 1 heice and 2 nephews) The only time i wish for more space is for grilling. I went out and bought a Weber kettle that i use for burgers and such as i can not get 12 burgers on the egg. I got my Medium from a guy who won it in a raffle and did not have a use for it so he sold it to me for $100 with a bag of lump. Had I been buying at full retail on both I most likly would have gone large.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Jody M,
    Conventional wisdom here is to go with the large. And that is excellent advice. Like Ravnhaus, I got a medium because of the sale price at the time. I have not regretted for a minute. I usually cook for about 6 people and have not had a space problem. I've been using it since Christmas. Guess that means you will be very happy with whatever you decide.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    kirk davison,
    You got one heck of a deal, and with a bag of lump no less. I paid $300 for my medium. It was on sale because Barbeques Galore quit carrying that size.
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• Jody M, look what a small can cook for 2 or 3 people it's great

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    ronzq,
    with the large i just did 4 6-7 lb roaster chickens
    1 for grandma
    1 one for mother and father
    2 for teen aged son