Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

woohoo!

StumpBaby
StumpBaby Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well afta many a month or so of lookin, I finally closed onna job today. Now mind you I've been out of work for 6 months. I took short term disability last August on accounta my back was so bad and I was finally gettin shootin pains down my legs I could not sit at the computer let alone drive to the office, course by the time they fixed the mri machine in town and got me in there, it had subsided, so once again they didn't see anything on the screen. That being the case I stayed on STD and entered a work hardening program in a local clinic. I worked my butt off 3 days a week for 3 hours each visit. It hurt like heck but I pushed through it, and towars the end of my leave I was feeling much better and getting ready to go back to work when my bosses boss (Sgt. Hulka) called and terminated me over the phone like you read about. This guy ran the place like the marines and he wasn't too happy that I took the time off, so right before I was ready to come back, whamo!

Total Joe Willy Neckbone if I ever saw one. This guys wife hadd a miscarraige one day and he took a whole hour off to go and bring her to the doctors office then back home, then back to the office he came. If'n he was a dinosaur he'd be a megasoreass. Can you believe that, a whole hour, WOW what confort his wife musta felt!

May a camel with fleas find this mans underwear drawer and do a nakid camel dance over it! Anyway I guess he didn't like the fact that I went out on STD so he waited until just when I was ready to come back, and terminated me. That was just before christmas, nice guy! I hope he woke to a fat lumpy **** sandwich for breakfast on Christmas and it went down hill from there. Anyway I started sendin out resumes before Christmas, and didn't hear a single thing, The State Of Mass would not let me collect because I was out on STD when I was fired and my original doctors note stated I could not work again until mid-decemeber at the earliest. I fought that, brought them to an arbritation hearin, and finally started collecting unemployment at the beginning of the new year. Nothing happened until after Christmas, at which point all the resumes I had sent out prior to christmas started gettin hits, and this week I received 2 offers. Of course I chose the one furthest from my home here in NH. Watch out fishlessman and Stike I'm heading out your way!

Woohoo!

StumpBaby

Comments

• congratulations! and if you are driving a distance and have a history of back pain.....TAKE YOUR WALLET OUT OF YOUR BACK POCKET!!!! I learned this the hard way, but it just twists things just enough. kind of like when it just gets on the wrong side, if you know what i mean.
  • Ah - at last a little sunshine...

Good - I home it works out well for you.

Spacey
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    That's great news Stump! Seems as if everything is getting back to somewhat normal for you.
    Hammer

PS: Don't be too hard on the Marines; I was one for six years. We're not all like the person you described.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    CONGRATS, Paul!!!!!! We're happy for you and your family. Let there be peace.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Congrats on both counts Stump and you might want to talk to a Lawyer..

The American Disability Act prevents your employer from firing you based on a disability. In fact they are supposed to do everything in their power to get you employed.. Considering what you do for a living that effort on his part would be extremely low.
  • I second what CW said.

Congratulations on the new job! I am surprised your ex-boss isn't in deep sh*t with the law because of what he did to you.

Hey, when the warm weather returns maybe you'll be able to join us for lunch at Fred's Franks (exit 40 off 128/95). I know the job is brand new, but by spring or summer, you might be able to squeeze in a long lunch or, what I do is take the afternoon off.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    WoooHooo back at you!!! That's even better than selling a house after 5 contracts....well, at least it's every bit as good.

Congratulations, My good friend! I am so very happy for you. I know it's been a long haul. Now, go kick butt!

Buddy Lawn
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Congratulations. Always enjoy your posts, but this is the best one. Having spent many an afternoon at Sconner's Wharf Bar in the mid '90's and once had a drink with Mel Fisher I found this and thought it might be a special recipe.

Wahoo

This is a very simple recipe for grilled wahoo. I obtained this recipe from the Schooner Wharf Bar in Key West. I had ordered their fish sandwich, which was out of this world. I thought it was Dolphin Fish (Mahi-Mahi) and as the chef was walking by I complemented him on it saying that it was the best Dolphin I'd ever had. He said "Actually, it's Wahoo and it just came off of that boat right there!" pointing to a boat at the wharf. He was very kind and continued "It's really very easy to do and you can make it at home.

Procedure:
    1 Marinate it in mojo for 10-15 minutes and then cook it on the grill!" I've used it also for formal dinners, minus the sandwich bun! Wahoo is a dence fish and stands up to the open flame of a B.B.Q. grill very well. As an option you can baste it with a lemon/paprika/mayo mixture as it grills, or additional mojo. Enjoy!!!! ;-)

Recipe Type
    Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: Internet, 2006/07/21
  • That is not entirely the truth. Some disablities are manmade. Not saying that is what happend, but it happens.
    "Get a Lawyer" is the American Dream now I guess. Instead of hard work.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If I shoot myself in the foot and claim a disability I would agree with you. However, I don't believe Stump's back issues are not of that nature.

However, when an employee is out on approved disability the law provides that his job must be held till his\her return. The ADA enhances that by saying that an employer must do everything they can to allow that employee to work. Now mind you there are exemptions from that (like car washes, police, fire or other positions that require physical labor); however, the nature of stumps employment does not demand physical labor.

Could you imagine a world where the likes of Steven Hawkings could not or was not allowed to work?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Good to hear everything working out. Was on short term for almost 2 months several years ago with back. Can simpithise with the shooting leg pain. With me it was standing that hurt (and still does to a certain degree). You had better learn and let others or machanical things do lifting for you or you'll be right back down. I used to grab a bale of hay and carry it around. Now I drag it into a wheelbarrow and move it. ;)
  • WoW wonderful news StumpBaby

The waiting is hard but us Eggers know that good things come to those who wait.

Congratulations on your new job

AuntieEgger
  • Thank you all for your positive comments, except maybe car Wash Mike, whom I think this time has really sent me off the f'n deep end!

Mike, You should know that I've been working in the state of Massachusetts since I was 15 years old and never ever took a single day of unemployment pay, nor have I ever even been unemployed. Now by my math that's almost 30 years of working hard to support me and my family. As you also are aware, I've been having serious back problems for three full years now, but tried like fuckin hell to keep working for my family. However late last fall, I awoke one day and could not even stand up, THEN AND ONLY THEN did i go out on leave. I can assure you this disability was not "man made"! I knew the company was on thin ice when they called and terminated me, I even told them so at the time. They later sent me a letter saying I "owed" them $1,600 dollars because they "overpaid" me Paid Time Off that I had not yet accrued, but the letter also stated that they would not "penalize me for it, or attempt to recuperate their funds" They wanted me to sign the letter and return it, I refused on principle alone. That's as far as I took it. I spose what they did was wrong, but I'm not into suing anybody. I knew I could get a job when the time was right. The fact of the matter is this, this was a real health problem I had, I was not, nor ever have I "taken advantage" of any situation or employer. Could I have sued? Probably! Did I, even though I was pretty sure I had a good case? NO! I'm not the suing type. I don't like handouts, I'm a Stump, but a hard working Stump. Sure, I fought the State of Massachusetts for my right to unemployment insurance because I had a right to it, in order to "get by" until I found a new job. I don't abuse it. ****, I've never been on it before and didn't even know how to get it without making fifteen phone calls first. I can tell you I worked my hairy fuckin lard ass and my damned needle **** june bug poker off, to get myself in better health quickly, simply so I could get a job and not be on unemployment any longer. I COULD have taken 30 weeks of free pay and lived rather comfortably, but the fact is that I hate it, and if I had my way I would never have taken any of it, but I did it for my small family. You gotta do what you gotta do. You may think "get a lawyer" is the "American Dream" but not for this American, and my own fuckin uncle is a lawyer. You should be completely ashamed of your post. The "American Dream" indeed! I sure hope you aren't really as cynical as your post made you out to be, simply because that would be a pretty sad outlook, especially coming from a small business owner such as yourself.

I should ALSO point out, as Hammer so elegently put it, I never meant any disrespect for the Marines, or any branch of the armed forces for that matter. I have the utmost respect for all of them, and the sacrifices they have made in the past, and continue to make today, in order to keep us safe here at home, and to protect our civil liberties. My intent was not to shed light so much on the fact that this person was a marine, but rather to show his own personal "flaws" in his management style, whether they were as a result of his service or not, I do not pretend to know. I only know what his management style was like, and that he was very very unforgiving. If I've made a generality in my previous post about marines, or any other group for that matter, and have offended anybody in so doing, than for that, I sincerely apologize.

Ron Pratt, you have been nothing but inspiring and a good friend all these years. I take your well wishes for peace to heart, and I thank you for them.

StumpBaby
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Congrats, Stump! Good news, indeed, and I'm happy things are working out for you. Also, that you're feeling a little better.

I know it's hard to remember, and I have a hard time with this sometimes, but the best revenge is living well. Living well, and perhaps an occasional bag of flaming poo left on one's doorstep.

Heeeeee,
    Cornfed
  • LOG
    LOG Posts: 7
    Congrats Paul and good luck on the job.
    LOG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's excellent news, stump. something tells me you clean up the speeling when you get into the office place. maybe even put on a tie!

where are you headed (in NH)?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Stike,

Whatever a speeling is I'm sure I washed it more then once, but never in the office. As for the tie, I wear one when necessary, but in my line of work it's not too often these days. I'm going to work at a company out on the coast so I'll have to move the family. In many ways it was a tough decision. I love the small town I live in, the mountains, the clean crystal clear lakes, the nearby skiiing (not for me. I'm not sure I'm ready to start that just yet, but my two daughters both snowboard) so I'll miss all that, but the job situation out here is bleak unless you are willing to commute for hours each way. With my back the way it is, those days are over. I hope to land in southern New Hampshire somewhere near the coast, we're not sure which town yet. I have to look into the school systems out that way and make sure I end up where my daughters can get a good education. Believe it or not, both of my daughters are very advanced for their ages. They must get it from their mothers side. My oldest really needs to jump ahead a grade. The school system here will let her take most courses one grade level up, and she still gets high honors, but they won't officially move her to the next grade because of her age. She's already the youngest in her grade. She gets pretty frustrated by the whole situation. My youngest has just about the same situation and they won't let her take advanced courses in the elementary school like they do in the middle school, but she doesn't get frustrated by it as she's very social and has a lot of friends in her grade. I may have to look into private schools for both of them at some point. Never thought I'd ever have to do that, but like I said they must get that from their mother, who has three degrees at this point, two of them from Ivy League Colleges.

Now, I have to learn some Java code. All this technology changes so fast. My last place was a fast paced continuous development environment, using all open source tools for their development, build, test, and release infrastructures. I had to learn all that on the job and under heavy fire too. This place seems much more laid back, but still makes use of some of the same new technology. Hopefully I can stay there a long time. In my line of work it's not uncommon to jump around a lot especially to learn new technology, but I'm getting tired of all that.

To answer your real question though, yep, I clean up real nice for work, even my spelling, but don't spread that around :)

StumpBaby
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Con grats on the new gig Stump, sohry u have to moov.