Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib - without bones - cooking time changes

Options
hakalugi
hakalugi Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

i've done a few prime rib's on my Egg in the past 4 years:

http://www.hakalugi.net/gallery/Foodstuff/christmas_prime_rib_2006

always the same though:

begin at 450, then drop to 275-300, basically 'oven style' with a smoke ring and flavor, never before a true slow and low, like some do.

so i'd like to try the slow and low, but there's a twist:

i always buy bone-in prime rib/standing rib roast, and cut-and-cradle it myself, so the bones are a 'roasting rack' i put over my indirect contraption. not this time, my place was out of choice bone-in, only prime bone-in or choice boneless. their choice is always good and at $19/pound for the prime...

so, the "it'll cook faster" addage since it won't have the bones on it is further compliated b/c i'm thinking of a 200 degree cook this time - how far off will this throw the min/pound ratios out there?

(it's 7.75# boneless, 9-10" long and 8-9 wide.)

also, we usually just food processor: garlic, fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil, any other favorite rubs i should try in honor of this slow/low cook?

thanks!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I bought one for Christmas, one of the few I've ever cooked that was boneless. I like barbecuing them, and stay in the 225° pit temp range. This one did cook faster, and like you mentioned, I usually cook the bone-in ones with the bones down and rarely turn.

This one however I cooked very raised direct and did do a couple of turns on it. Cooking direct does not require a sear, but I generally do them at the end if needed. Here are some picts

IMG_0132aa.jpg

IMG_0154a.jpg

And by the way, still got a little smoke ring....

IMG_0155a2.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • hakalugi
    Options
    nice.

how big is that one and do you recall how long @ 225 direct/high?

thanks!
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    nice handle :silly:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    IMG_0140a.jpg

That one started at 7#. I say started because I had lit the pit real early on the day before to smoke some turkey breasts, and sliced off a piece to cook for breakfast. The rub I used is from Kreuz market in Lockhart, basically salt, pepper and cayenne. It was very, very good.

I planned on 25 minutes a pound and stuck it with a cable thermometer after 90 minutes or so....as I recall I adjusted the pit temp down to meet my schedule. It's always a good idea to watch the thermometer and adjust from there.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Herb
    Herb Posts: 28
    Options
    I've cooked many using the alton brown method. I just put it in the egg on a v rack with drip pan at 200-225 dome temp. Pull at 118 degrees (approx. 4 hours cook time) and let rest covered in foil until the thermometer hits 130, it take about 25-30 mins.
    While you're waiting crank the egg up to 500-550 or so. Then put is back on egg for another 10-12 mins until you get the nice caramelization on the outside of roast.
  • hakalugi
    Options
    not a bad idea.

7.75#

20 min per pound = 2.58 hrs
    25 min per pound = 3.22 hrs