Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why is Spatchcocked so GOOD?????

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What gives? Why is it so much better then grilling individual pieces? My only explanation is that when the bird is cut into pieces, it leaves an area for juices to escape????[p]Maybe I should not look a gift horse in the mouth.....
Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• SamIam
    SamIam Posts: 20
    Options
    Wardster,
    The answer to this question may not ever be answered, but as long as it tastes so good, I'm going to keep making it![p]Sam I am

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Wardster,[p]And "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know!"[p]Smokey
  • Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Wardster,
    I have to say this is the only way we eat chicken now! FANTASTIC!

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Wardster,[p]I wonder if it's because the chicken is now shaped like a steak - no thicker than an inch or so and more evenly spread out.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Wardster:[p]I agree with you. In pieces, the breast is most likely to dry out and become done quicker than the darker, leg areas. Spatchcocking leaves the breast intact and does not allow the juices to escape and allow the meat to dry out.

• Wardster,
    I like Spatchcocked for a high heat cook, got hint of it last summer from the forum and really enjoyed it. Sunday I just opted for a whole 5 pound fryer injected and smoked indirect for 3 hours 225. Either way its hard to mess up a chicken cook.[p] alt

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]I think that sine the bones are still in the bird, you get more flavor. Meat with bones in it almost always tastes better than meat without. I almost never buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts anymore (I pretty much only buy them for chicken fajitas).[p]Spatchcock is great for many things, including: 1) you're essentially cooking chicken parts, but for the cost of a whole chicken (individual parts usually cost more per lb.) 2) When you cut out the backbone, you're removing the bone with the most weight and least amount of meat (and you can use it for chicken stock). 3) It cooks quick and easy. [p]I recently made some garlic butter (from the Washington Post article I posted about last week. I think my next spatchcock will have garlic butter rubbed over and under the skin. Can't wait to try it!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    BluesnBBQ:[p]I agree with your comments about bones being left in the bird. When I mentioned pieces, I really meant cutting the bird in half or pieces with bones in tact, not boneless breasts. When I cook chicken halves I notice that the breast can loose moisture where spatchcocked does not allow an escape route for these valuable juices.