Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza

Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for over 10 years and never baked in it. I mostly smoke. Today I bought the Plate setter and stone. I am attempting to make my first pizza. I have read the naked whiz site about pizza making. I purchased the fresh pizza dough from publix deli. I have told the family that we all may go hungry if I mess this up. Is there any advice anyone can give me about this? Anything I may need to consider? At 500 + degrees this can go bad quickly. You guys are always a great help.[p]Thanks,[p]Steve

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Steve,
    when ever you are baking make sure to put a little air in between the platesetter and the pizza stone i use the little "Feet" like this
    101_0359.jpg[p]but you can use aluminum foil balls or copper elbow joints [p]BTW you might want to check The New Forum you will proabably get a few more replies over there. we can see what people post over here but they can't see what we post over there.... kinda a one way porthole....[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ALWAYS remember to BURP the EGG when cooking at those temps. Good luck
  • Use plenty of corn meal on the Peal and on the stone. The pizza will slide right off the peal and it will be easy to slid off the stone. I am no expert but I have scored on three out of four Pizzas, the one failure was the second one that stuck to the peal and made a mess getting onto the stone, it tasted good anyway.
    At 500 degrees it should take 15-20 mins.
    Good luck
  • Hey Steve,

Parchment paper on the peel can be a big help - just slide the paper onto the stone and you don't have to worry about the dough sticking.

My pizzas improved a lot when someone on this forum recommended cooking them higher in the dome.

The other helpful recommendation was to start with a wetter dough so it can stay on the hot stone longer without burning - but if you bought dough that won't mean much!

Hope this helps - I love egged pizza!

Patty
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    don't pile to much stuff on so it cooks faster and defiantly use the parchment paper. and cornmeal. it makes all the difference in the world. everything will slide where it is supposed to with out turning into a "calzon" and if it does you remember you meant to do that :whistle: then just enjoy. we love doing pizzas! Julie
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    mmm...pizza..has become about my fav on the egg..here's a pic or two w/the parchment paper in case it doesnt make sense..also, I still use the corn meal on the stone cuzz the wife likes the flavor it adds, but it really isn't necessary if you use the paper:

FirstSuccessfulPizza001.jpg

FirstSuccessfulPizza006.jpg

after about 2 mins..the dough will be firm enough you can slip the paper right out...enjoy!
  • Herb
    Herb Posts: 28
    I've never tried baking either, what's the purpose of the feet between the stone and plate setter? i would think the stone would heat quicker and more evenly if placed directly on plate setter. Please send some light
  • Herb
    Herb Posts: 28
    I've never tried baking either, what's the purpose of the feet between the stone and plate setter? i would think the stone would heat quicker and more evenly if placed directly on plate setter. Please send some light
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    It was about that long for me as well. I was skeptical about baking. After talking with Bill Wise(Wise One)one day at the old BGE on Clairmont, he convinced me that I was missing out on a fun cook.
    I got hooked on making pizza's for family and friends, and never looked back. Bill also turned me on to Mama Mary's pizza crusts . They are better than any I have made and from any commercial joint.
    I do cook at the 580/600 temp unlike the 500 or so recommended.
    Hammer
  • The air space helps the stone get hot faster. It also allows more air circulation around the stone and the pizza and a break frome the open flame. You can do a grill on top of an inverted platesetter and a couple of firebricks and then the stone. You really want the stone to be higher than the gasket.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Hammer...where do you buy the Mama Mary's crusts?...we have experimented and settled on a homemade dough for the crust..but am always looking for something as good and easier!.. ;)
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I have a roll of parchment paper that I have yet to use that says it is good up to only 400 degrees. I generally do my pizzas at around 600. Is that a problem?
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Found them at Krogers, and at Wal-mart. They are made by Spartan Foods in South Carolina. Good crust; made with honey. I don't believe you will be disappointed if you try them.
    Hammer
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    to each his own. I've never used spacers of any type in 8 years now and I've never had a burnt or undercooked pizza. Like many other things there are several ways to do something and what works best for you is the way to go!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.