Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babybacks Saturday: Vote now on my method YOU like!!

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, OK, here's another ribbie post: Got some company coming over,and will be doing babybacks, but want to do them simple as can be, and wouldn't mind getting my cook completed within 3 hours(!), if possible. Maybe using JJ's Rub, considering some of the recent posts re: just as tender at 300-350 vs. longer and lower at 225, and have always loved the KC style using "Struttin' Sauce" from the Smoke 'n Spice cookbook. Y'all like to weigh in with your takes on what should/could work best?? Thanks everyone!
Big Murth

Comments

• Mark G
    Mark G Posts: 39
    Big Murth,
    As posted below my weekend cook is now my favorite.[p]250° For one hour with apple chuncks for good smoke flavor
    300° for the next 2-2.5hrs till done (time varies)
    Then go direct for about 15-30min at 350°-375° to get a nice crunch and put on your sauce. I like mine dry so I skip this step.
    Probably could be done in 3hrs at slightly elevated temps and mine actually were just about done in 3hrs.[p]Mark

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Big Murth,
    Probaby the best ribs I have had are Cat's. She cooks them direct in a rib rack at no more than 250. Pretty sure they take about 3.5 to 4 hours for babybacks. She keeps a good eye on them, and rotates as needed to utilize the hotspots. She judges doneness with a toothpick. They are out of this world.[p]Also, she cooks with no top cap or daisy, totally regulating air with the bottom vent. This seems to result in a cleaner burn. A top notch cook we can all learn from![p]The marinade she posted is also hard to top.[p]Enjoy your cook! and beers to you.
    NB

[ul][li]Cat's Ribs[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Big Murth,
    Just my thoughts, but rushing to a completion tends to dry them out thereby rendering them on the tough side.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Big Murth:[p]If simple is what you want, season with Lawry's or just salt and pepper brushed with sauce nearing the end of the cook. Concentrating on the three hour BGE rib cook: Direct, on an elevated rack in the upper dome area - eight or nine inches above the main grill. Dome temperature in the 275º to 300º range. Make sure the grill is preheated prior to the cook. The key here is "upper dome".[p]Good luck, let us know what you decide.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Big Murth,
    Gotta add another vote for Cat's. Easy and fabulous!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Big Murth,[p]I agree with NB.[p]The simplest cook of ribs is demonstrated by Cat's method - Cooked directly over the lump using only an inverted v-rack to support the standing ribs. This method is a great way to learn how your cooker works and to then better utilize what it can do for you. The cook is no longer than any of the initial-cook/change-cook/change-cook methods (no offense intended to those that enjoy), and offers the pleasure of truly enjoying the natural flavors of the meat cooked directly over the lump.[p]We enjoy the marinade offered in Cat's recipe and very seldom baste with a sauce, prefering to dip the finished rib if desired. We actually eat them with no sauce most of the time.[p]A truly great rib is one that is picked up and you bite into the meat and feel the bone with your teeth. You then pull the bone away and the meat stays in your mouth, leaving a clean bone for you to view.[p]Spin[p]Spin
  • djm5x9
    JJ,[p]I have given this some thought and I agree. Good ribs take thyme.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    djm5x9,
    Thought initiality that I would make a snide comment like you did but opted otherwise in respect to the BGE forum.

• djm5x9
    JJ:[p]Sensitive, sensitive, sensitive. I will try to watch my spelling . . .

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Nature Boy,
    Sounds great, and thanks to you and everyone else who took the "thyme" to chyme in!! Question: I guess I'm a little squeamish about letting these babys go direct, as I often see my Large leaping ahead and building excess temperature when I least need it....obviously want to avoid over-amping any temp stages and burning/drying out the ribs. Would her method work (times/temps, too) if I went direct/plate setter, or did a "semi-indirect", i.e., drip pan below the ribs...etc. Thanks again to all,
    Big Murth

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Big Murth,[p]Hey, Big Murth. I'm a rib simpleton, and I almost always do them in a rib rack over a dry foil drip pan. When I don't have a pan handy, I just shape one out of aluminum foil. This simple method has worked very well for me.[p]Who is Cornfed? (<---sorry, just saw a live taping of the 4000th episode of Jeopardy in NYC and I'm still in Jeopardy mode...)

• Big Murth,I posted several questions in the last couple of months regarding ribs and methods. I have owned 2 eggs(started with medium, moved up to a large once the addiction began) and have tried all methods. All are good, but I like you was looking for something simple. I buy the meatiest baby backs I can find and do the membrane, JJ's rub and mustard. Recently I have gone back to direct on a rack with 1-3 slabs at 225-245 degrees turning every 45 minutes with fantastic results. Usually done in 3.5 to 4.5 hours, but I always watch them closely at about three hours on. The tried and true method of watching how far the meat pulls back from the bone and how flexible they are. I sauce for the last 20 min. and the smell that comes off that egg at that point is unbelievable. Watched march madness on a recent friday afternoon with some buddies of mine who also believe like me that college football and basketball come before work, fired up the ribs and cold beers and proclaimed that life is good. Good luck.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Big Murth,[p]I'm surprised to see no mention of buttermilk in any of these replies. I've yet to try a buttermilk soaked rib, but it is on my list for next up.[p]--sdb
  • djm5x9
    sdbelt:[p]I did a buttermilk/mustard rib soak overnight and found the results worth some additional experimentation. With those same ribs I mixed some maple syrup with "Q" sauce brushed on as the cook neared completion. Something worked, I wish I had kept better notes . . .