Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey.........Trex

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
you said you wanted to check out what the bottom of my egg looked like......
crackedeggthurs019.jpg
the pieces of duct tape indicates where the crack stops.

in the process i cracked the fire ring also
crackedeggthurs006.jpg

crackedeggthurs011.jpg
the fire box was already in need of some attention.. but not as much as it needs now.
crackedeggthurs006.jpg

here is an inside shot

crackedeggthurs012.jpg

so when i go to atlante i will be taking the base, fire box, and fire ring.. while i am there i am going to replace the fire box in my small(sorry no pics)

i klnow my picture taking needs some help but maybe this will give you an idea...

also i still have no idea what happened. but it seems catastrophic

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• What's bizarre to me is that all three pieces cracked. Base, firebox and ring. This suggests, at least in my mind, that there wasn't some hidden flaw in one piece that resulted in a failure after repeated temperature cycling. Instead, it seems more logical that there was something in the fire that caused the damage. Did you happen to find any strange debris in the ashes when you cleaned it out? I've seen heated sandstone explode pretty violently so it makes me wonder if there might have been a rock in your lump that went poof! Just random thoughts. Sorry for your loss. I would be distraught.

Meat
  • BENTE
    there might have been a rock however i did not find one in the lump when i cleaned it out but it might have disinegrated.. i have been seeing more rocks in the royal oak bags (american)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    That's what I was hoping to see when the outside was cracked. Since everything is lined up with a crack, it's like a too tight of a fit for whatever was on the fire ring.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    were you around when the base went, when mine cracked a few years ago it sounded like a shotgun going off near my ear. was during a 325 degree turkey cook, nothing out of the ordinary for a cook. was replaced no questions asked. mine went from the vent towards the center and then up 2 sides
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    i was out there it was not as loud as what you described but when it happened i actually said"That didn't sound too good" looked around to the back and
    crackedeggthurs002.jpg

the crack is at about 2 oclock goes for aways
    crackedeggthurs008.jpg
    here is a better view of which side of the egg it is on.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    well it was certianally not what was on the grid. the same grid has been in place for a couple weeks.. we have both the cast iron one and the original. i don't use the original much it just sits in my little storage box
    crackedeggthurs007.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    who replaced it? our friend in windham wasn't very accommodating usually. i can't imagine they said "here's a new bottom!"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Thanks for the pics. Unless somehow you had some lump in between your firebox and shell that started to burn really hot, then I can't explain it, unless there was already a small fracture or imperfection in the shell that acted as a stress concentrator and genesis of rapid (catastrophic) crack growth.

Who knows. Stranger things have happened, I suppose. Sorry again for the bum luck.

TRex
  • BENTE
    i think it will be ok for me tomorrow when i reasemble it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I still have not heard from the mothership yet. I am assuming you have not either. Shot me an email tomorrow and let me know the outcome.
  • BENTE
    yea i have not heard from them either i finally got someone on the phone and asked about the lower vent.. but i am thinking that they really can't tell you much over the phone.. basically because they can't tell if you droped it over the phone.. so after i figured that part out i said road trip... i have not had any problems taking anything back to them before so i am not really concerned... but still a little worried.. i will email you tomorrow

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Man...those pix make me feel sick..what if that happens during a long over nite cook?..I have my egg on my screened in porch..hell if it totally collapsed I'd dump hot coals on my porch and burn the dang house down...thought of moving the egg outside though in the weather...ugh
  • BENTE
    i am not sure that would happen... i have had my egg for about 5-6 years and to be honest i have been through a few fire boxes i am almost positive all problems with the ceramics happen at a high heat... that is where i have had the most of my problems.. i am sure the egg would keep on cooking until the coals went out. there are several on here who have "welded" some ceramics. i think fishless man has a picture of his fire box there are like 10 pieces to it.. he still cooks on it... me i am one of those people who say well it aint right time to get it fixed. with the fire box its a little diffrent but with the outer shell i am worried. maybe dog runs into it knocks it over (she is a wopping 18 lbs.) it hits concrete and falls into two pieces and i can't prove it was the crack from heat and they tell me it is from hitting concrete.. warranty does me no good. but my egg is on a patio porch

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Bente, So sorry for your loss. Mean it. It's just material things but sort of get attached to certain things. That is really strange. Do not know on yours (large?) but on my medium there is a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap all around the fire ring and 1/4 inch gap around the box. If I am understanding right the cracks on all 3 pieces line up correct? If so even a sonic,concussion or partical blast from inside the Egg should have been absorbed by the box and ring never effecting Egg proper UNLESS it originated above or level with top of the fire ring. Imagine you are 4 inches tall and are standing on the bottom of the Egg with a shotgun. If you shoot at the side of the Egg the blast will be absorbed by the box/ring never contacting Egg proper. However if you were standing on the gasket of the bottom 1/2 of egg and shot down at an angle you would hit all 3 parts (box/ring and Egg proper) as shot spreads out. Of course a big enough "blast" in the box could travel completley through all pieces but but you would think there would be more damage to inside ring/box since I would think it would take a pretty big one to penetrate over 1 inch of "sandwitch" ceramic WITH air space between them. Make any sense? In any case hope this gets taken care of soon and back to many happy Eggings!! ;)
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    That sucks! Couldnt have happened before you went to alt a couple of weeks ago huh? sorry. Hope they get it worked out.
  • BENTE
    i have loaded everything into the car and filled with gas. but i did look around each piece (more to make sure it did not look like i dropped it) and found the fire ring to have all the usual gunk around it. there was not a place where i seen clean ceramic. the fire box well that thing is a little diffrent. i am pretty certian that if your fire box has not cracked, chipped or in some other way changed then you need to fire it up more often. my egg gets used about 4 times a week every week for the last 5-6 years (i will ask tomorrow). i am on my 3rd or 4th firebox...... that stuff happens. i am going to ask them about what may have caused it.

crackedeggthurs006.jpg
    in this picture you can see the fire box well and the vertical line that is showing was not showing before but the horizontal line was there before the failure. the out side of the egg base lookes like something from the inside forced it's way out see how in this picture
    crackedeggthurs002.jpg
    it looks like some of the green enamel is missing...

just my thoughts but i will certianally give an update tommorrow afternoon

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    yea i did not make it that close to the mothership i was srill 40 min from there but then i would have not been able to pick up twenty-one of my best friends :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    the guy in hamptonfalls. he was reluctantant at first, so i told him i called john at bge and he said it would get replaced, then handed him bge's telephone number, had the new bottom in less than 15 minutes. probably will buy a large there this summer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i keep forgetting about that place.....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • It must be a Forum thing...I've had my Egg for years and nothing's gone haywire with it. I join here and two months later my fire box is falling apart like an Iranian housing complex in an earthquake. I hope my local vendor can get me a new one...this one's about had it.