Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Spring Assembly

Options
Scubadog
Scubadog Posts: 100
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone. My first post. Don't know where else to go. Just received my new XL, unpacked it and watched the assembly DVD. Problem is that the spring assembly is a spring dis-assembly with NO instructions on how to assemble it. Also it is all bare metal parts instead of the nice black powder coated units the website video shows. Figured I'd toss my problem out here on the forum to see if anyone can offer advice. Believe me, I'd much rather be talking turkey.

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    scubadog,[p]you've logged into the old forum. There's a new beta forum which most everyone has migrated to. Just scroll up and click on the arrow in the green box to get there. You'll probably get lots of answers and recommendations from lots of folks over there. They can see your post, but you can't see theirs from here.

• Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks. I'm here now and hope'n, wish'h, beggin, for some advise.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Hang in there. There's lots of XL owners in here. Good luck.
  • Carl in Indy
    Options
    DSCF0152.jpg

DSCF0151.jpg

here are a couple shots of my spring assist hope this helps
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    The XL spring assist assembly is silver not black. The instructions should have come in the plastic bag that you received with the BGE. It tells you how to assemble it. I don't know what they show on the DVD; but the spring assist is only for the XL; it is different than the other sizea.
    It's not difficult to assemble, but it is exacting.
    If all else fails, call the mothership and have them e-mail you a copy of the instructions.
    Hammer
  • ChitownBBQ
    Options
    Hey there,

I just got my new XL a month ago and I had the same questions.

The answers I got back were that the video is the older hinge type (or the current hinge type on the smaller egg). I put mine together in pretty short order with the paper instructions.

You'll love it once you get it going.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I just watched the video on www.biggreenegg.com. I'm pretty sure that's a large BGE in the video. Yours being an XL is a little different from that one. I understand there's an additional spring assist which mounts on the sides of yours, in addition to the hinge in the rear. Mine is only a medium BGE so I can't advise the assembly process. I believe I'd contact the mothership as Hammer suggested. Sounds like you're lacking some instructions.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Check the tips section of my website ( linked below ) for a step by step on the install....
  • Just now able to get back to everyone that chipped in on the advice. Thanks to all of you. The pic's totally helped me understand the assembly. Also, a guy named Lou West from Egg HQ had all of the instructions to me by e-mail within minutes of my call. Another guy named Bill Arnold from the distributer was also very helpful in getting me through to Lou.

So 3 or 4 Corona's (I always lose count) later and the XL is fully assembled, on coundown mode and ready for launch. Thanks again.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    We shoulda known you'd have a tutorial on this.

This is an incredible forum!