Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In Trouble

Options
Keithww
Keithww Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while back I posted a request for help in the XL vs L buying decision. My brother has a Large, and I figured that there are more toys that are made for the large, and a host of other reasons I would go ahead and get a large. Here is the problem, I made the mistake of telling my wife that I just wanted the large. Today I went buy a dealer and looked at the large and the Extra Large. With 4 kids, I really think I "need" the XL, now I need to explain that to my wife.
Does anybody have and good rationalizations that I can use? :)

Comments

• How about Honey I really think we need an XL so I can cook more ;) I have found that the truth works best
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    "Honey what happens if your mother comes to visit? I will need the extra space just to feed her!!" ;)

i still think you are fine!

but just tell her "we can just get the large but you got to decide which of the two kids we are going to put up for adoption"

man i am on a roll today :laugh: :silly: :lol: :woohoo: :);)B) :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    "Honey, after looking at the large and realizing our kids are going to be eating more with each passing year I'm afraid it may not be big enough so I think we ought to spring for the XL."

And if your four kids are boys, you willo not be stretching the truth at all.
  • Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    IMHO I would stay with the large and save the extra $$for the 2nd BGE that will come. Trust me on that one, we got our 1st large before the XL was released and we are now the proud owners of 2 LGs and a mini. With our 3 Egg setup we can cook Pizza's on one large, Low and Slow Pulled Pork on the other large and still have the Mini to grill a steak or roast some garlic.

And there is a major cool factor about having all 3 of my Egg's going at the same time.

Again just my 2 Cents.

Lazydog B)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Best rationalization I can suggest is to remind her this is a lifetime purchase - not some gasser that you will kick to the curb in a few years. Besides that after you're gone one of your sons will cherish inheriting it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Keithww
    Options
    They are all girls, but is seems their friends all want to eat at our house.
    The get a large and a second one idea has merit, but I'm afraid that if I get one, it will end up being the only.

On a side note, more than one friend of my daughters has made the comment "It is so cool that your parents cook." How do people afford to eat out 1000+ meals a year. We cook two to three large meals a week and have left overs for lunch at work, and cook a couple of smaller just for that meal amounts. I cook better and healthier than anywhere near the office, and for about a third the price. We will eat out, but not daily. Of course most people don't have four kids. :)
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    You do have a valid point concerning the limits of the large but you could invest in the raised grid to give you a second cooking surface which will work for some cooks. Or, you could state your case and pick up a second egg. A small, medium or even another large could not only give you greater capacity but increase your flexibility by allowing you to cook at different temperatures at the same time--can we say smoke and grill or bake simultaneously. Or, you could spring for the XL, a monster for sure. Good luck with your choice.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    When I got my first egg, I read the posts and saw all the people who had gotten a 2nd, 3rd and more eggs.

I said I want one only - that's all I am going to buy.

Well a few weeks ago I added a medium to my large. NO, I am not getting a third!!! ... I dont' think.

It is nice to have 2 eggs going at the same time at different temps.

These types of questions puzzle me. I guess I am lucky as my wife has never made it awkward for me. Nor have I ever made it awkward for my wife when the shoe was on the other foot.

As for what to say to the wife... just talk with her and say I am thinking 'WE' need more space and I want to get a XL and explain why.

Ask for her thoughts listen to her inpout then get the XL.

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Never say never. -RP
    IMG_0697Small.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Keithww,

We have 5 kids and made sure the firends were over here for movies, sports events and parties. At times invited the friends with our family on events.

The wife and I didn't have to worry about where the kids were and what they were doing and made sure our place was a fun place to be. No eggs but we grilled for the groups.

It was very expensive but our investment is/was our kids.

Now that all our kids are grown what surprised Grandma and I is that those friends of our kids still are our friends too.

You will need to ask the XL & Large owners if it would be better to get a XL & Large or 2 Larges.

If you don't think you would ever get a second large, then it might be wiser to get the XL.

In most cases our largest group to cook for is 22 (mixed adults & kids). Our large, so far has been able to fill the bill.

GG
  • La Egger
    Options
    This won't help with your wife, but...I have 6 kids and the large has never let me down. A couple of post up someone mentioned the raised grid. That works well.

I've done two turkeys at once, three chickens at once...the only place I wanted more grid was doing hamburgers for a bday party. Now the kids just want pizza at the parties and they typically like doing those one at a time and building them themselves.

Good luck in your decision and salesmanship. For me I like the large...and I have my eye on the small, just because I want to be like some of those more experienced posters. :laugh:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Ask your wife if she would like cooking meals for 6+ using a toaster oven instead of her full size oven.
    The extra grill space on the XL is great for burgers, steaks, chicken pieces and ABT's.
    Great new things are popping up to make the XL as versitile as the large. I have both but never regret getting my XL. I still use it more. I like to cook lots of extra food for work lunches.
    Oh, I never told my wife. The eggs just showed up.
    I still want a mini with no real reason to have one.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oh, I hope not... LOL

I have been thinking about a small. Looking at your eggs, got me to thinking. I now am thinking I want all my eggs in nests.

I make a table for the medium. I used a crome cart and a formica top. Because of the formica I need to cover the medium & table because of rain and snow on the formica. When the snow is deep or when things are freezing I end up using the large because it is in a nest and don't have to clear snow and uncover the medium.

Come summer time, I think I will put the medium in a nest then get a new formica top (without the hole) and have the roll around table to use with the eggs.

Looks like a L, M & S over there, I like your setup.

GG
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Take the XL back and get the Large and a Small, that is a great combo. :woohoo:

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I cooked for 80 plus last weekend on 3 larges, without the benefit of the spider & multiple grates. With those Eggcesseries I think I could cook for at least 20 on 1 large. Just me & the wife at home so I hope to add a small to our family for the small cooks.
    I'd get the large with the Eggcesseries for the bigger cooks. Think I see a small in your future like me. (wife is with me on this one as she has had the egged food).
    Good luck but you'll be happy any way you go.

Pat
  • AZRP
    Options
    Yeah I hear ya, I was always going to build something in, but realized how dirty things get from ash falling out, the grease, etc. This way I just hose them off and they're still portable. In fact my whole outdoor kitchen is portable. -RP
    IMG_0066Small.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I would stay with the large and save for the next one. We got a large and only planned on just one egg. HA they are like potato chips! We got a small next, where there are just two of us and to take camping. I did a 12 pd turkey in that small!! I love that. We are getting a used Med for our Fl home. SO get the large, and plan on a med maybe down the road. or another large. It really is nice having more than one and there are a lot of uses. from low and slow to pizza and seared steaks to the best cobblers you will ever eat, baked beans are to die for when you do pulled pork. see you really need more than one. Julie
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Dang Randy. Are you doing Spas or catering? :ermm: Very nice setup.
    Saw the gasser on the side, is that for tool storage :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Look forward to seeing you at Fla. Do you want a can of Charles Chips? Be happy to bring it. ;)
    Pat
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    AZRP wrote:
    Yeah I hear ya, I was always going to build something in, but realized how dirty things get from ash falling out, the grease, etc. This way I just hose them off and they're still portable. In fact my whole outdoor kitchen is portable. -RP
    IMG_0066Small.jpg
    we are playing with the "what do we want to do" build in or leave out. the clean up is my concern. I scan everyones pictures of the tables and carts and wonder if they really use them. we cook almost every night and in the cold Maine winter spending much time in the dark cleaning is not fun or easy. Ash is such a mess if you are not careful. Julie
  • AZRP
    Options
    Yes, that is the ol' tool shed. Thanks anyway, but I'll pass on the chips, bad for my girlish figure. -RP
    IMG_0403Small.jpg
  • AZRP
    Options
    Besides the ash and grease, it is very dusty here and a thick coating of dust that the birds have crapped all over isn't very appetizing. I really need to be able to just hose everything down. -RP
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    :blush: :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
    Sorry to bust you out after all the help you've given.
    Wife is mad at me now :angry: LOL
    See you in March & thanks for your help,
    Pat
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I knew there was more to all that than the 3 eggs. Are you anywhere near Camel Back?

Kent
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i have a large and a mini and 2 young adult sons [who will no longer eat boiled asparagus or un-egged chicken] long divorced i have never regretted cooking for my sons. nothing better than hearing them say "this steak was better than Morton's" [$420 for the 3 of us}. i employ young women for the most part and am appled and confused and saddened when they say "i don't cook i have a job" or feed their families microwaved food. meal time is family. or as emeril says while he cooks " feel the love" i know my sons and their friends do. my suggestion, would be a large with accesories and once they taste the difference a small will be an easy sell. there is nothing better than meat cooked right on an egg.
    sorry for rambling tough day at teh office .
    bill
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Expensive tool chest.

GG
  • AZRP
    Options
    100 miles or so, I'm in Tucson. -RP
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I guess I'm fortunate; my wife has never registered any complaints about the number of Egg's we have. She now want's a small.
    I love the XL's and the larges that we have and have no complaints about either.
    Good luck on your decision!
    Hammer
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks,

My sister and brother in law moved there several years ago for retirement. My sister keeps rubbing the no snow and warm weather in my face all the time.

Summer time I raz her.

Kent
  • On Monday a winter storm blew through here and I got hailed on sleeted on and snowed on. -RP
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Keithww

There is a solution (the XL is around back)

Picture010.jpg[img size=150][/img]

Steve 

Caledon, ON