Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Its a Jerky Day

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I'm making some beef jerky. To top it off, I am using the "Jack Daniel’s oak barrel chips" for flavor. I really like the chips. The flavor is subtle (compared to the jerky seasoning) and does not affect temp like the Mesquite beans do.

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Can you post the recipe?
  • Smokey
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]2½- 4lb Top or Bottom Round, Flank Steak or London Broil, [p]If you have a nice butcher, ask him (or her) to slice it thin (1/4 – 3/16-inch thick … my butcher slices large, thin pieces!) If you slice it yourself, trim away all fat then partially freeze until firm. Then slice pieces of desired thickness (thicker pieces yield “meatier” jerky. Cover strips with “HI MOUNTAIN JERKY SEASONING” (www.himtnjerky.com) following instructions and let cure for at lease 4 hours or over night. (I doctored up the seasoning with whatever I found in the cabinet! I also use fresh garlic.)[p]Cooking/smoking on a grid of some type yields the best results. I used an aluminum mesh that looked like a “gutter guard”.[p]Fire-up the Egg and let temp become steady at 250 – 300 degrees. Soaked wood chips really add flavor![p]Smoke cured jerky at low and slow temp. After about 20 – 25 minutes, check and flip. Continue smoking for another 20 minutes or so. Egg temp and meat thickness will greatly affect cooking times, as will your personal taste (meaty vs. drier).[p]
    Good Luck with it![p]Smokey[p]

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Thanks. I've used the High Mountain seasoning before (I bought a kit last summer). It makes good jerky, but I don't like that it has smoke flavoring already added. To me it's like using liquid smoke. I'm going to have to try the recipe in Smoke and Spice one of these days.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S10_10_9916_22_00.jpg
    <p />BluesnBBQ, check out the River City Beef Jerky recipe in the "New Recipe Section" on the link below - always turns out about perfect.[p]

[ul][li]Recipe[/ul]
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Smokey,
    I gots to ask. I have an EGG and also a New Brunfels smoker. I have neverdone jerkey on the EGG. I thought the idea of heating Jerkey was to dry it out. Doesn't it defeat the purpose to do it in the EGG that does such a supurb job of keeping meat moist? My smoker is only used for jerkey now and it takes a tremendoud amount of lump and wood. but it does about 20Lbs of jerkey at a time.(Have two Boys in college) Jerkey vacumes. Just trying to learn.[p]MAC

• Smokey
    Options
    MAC,[p]The Egg works quite well! I think GFW seems to have a great method to do large amouts (see his post below)[p]Smokey

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S10_10_9911_27_00.jpg
    <p />MAC, check out the link and the links on the link - I do beef jerky on the egg about every 2-3 weeks - the BGE makes great jerky![p]

[ul][li]River City Beef Jerky[/ul]