Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a Ham

Options
WildBill
WildBill Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked to cook the "Easter Ham" on my BGE. I did one for Christmas - it was a pre-cooked one that I was given, and it turned out great. My question is what kind of ham is best to start with and are they readily available at grocery stores (HT, Fresh Mkt, etc) Any advice would be appreciated & Thanks,
WB

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    WildBill:[p]I do mine at a grill temperature range between 250º and 300º depending on how much of a hurry I am in to an internal of 140º. A little smoke is nice too.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    WildBill,
    Try to get a ham that doesn't have water added, ie in natural juices. You'll pay a little more but it's worth it. Also, don't get a spiral sliced ham; the slices tend to dry out. Use the package instructions for times and cooking temps. A fully cooked ham only needs to come up to 115 - 125 degrees internal; you are only warming it up. A fresh ham needs to come up to about 160 Degrees. Glaze if desired in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Use as much or as little smoke as you like.
    JimW

• WildBill
    Options
    JimW,
    Thanks for info - I think I am looking for a fresh ham, but the advice for a pre-cooked ham makes sense. The one I did for Christmas was pre-cooked, I just did a slow cook with smoke and added a glaze. It was really good, especially when it was still warm.

• WildBill
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Thanks for info - I will definitely cook on the slow side & with smoke, especially since I am off on Fri and Sat...just need to figure out what kind of "ham" to cook![p]Thanks,
    WB[p]

• WildBill,
    Some people use injectors to keep the ham moist but most injector marinades have MSG. I get the shakes from MSG so if I use an injector, I use my on marinade. I use fresh hams because the salt content of precooked seems to increase when smoking. Two cautions, 1. If it is fresh take it to atleast 165, 2. Ask the butcher how much salt water has already been injectd into the ham. My usual butcher was out of fresh hams the last time I smoked them. I used another buthcher and the pork was injected with so much salt water that it almost ruined my work. Since the meat problems in Europe there seems to be a trend toward injecting pork to add weight and jack up profits.

• WildBill
    Options
    woowoo,
    Thanks for the advice - I am going to look for a fresh ham today - didn't realize the salt injection would be such a problem...I have my own injector so can take care of that part & guess my fallback will be a pre-cooked one again.[p]WB

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    WildBill,[p]What ever you end up doing, try to get a ham with a bone in it. The smoked ham bone is great for stock/soup.

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Options
    WildBill,[p]I am also doing a ham this weekend for Easter. It was a request by the family as ham's turn out great on the Egg.[p]I picked up a big (12 lbs) 'end shank' ham with bone in. The left over bone makes an incredible pot of beans. A local supermarket had them on sale for .78 cents a pound. [p]I cook it at 350 until internal is 160. I also use the glaze from "Dave's Double Smoked Ham" as it is wonderful.[p]Good luck!
    Dan.[p]