Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well i went outside and fired up the large for trexing of some ny strips. and during the sear process i heard a pop looked at the back of my egg and it cracked :( :( :(

crackedegg004.jpg

crackedegg003.jpg

i think i know the answer but just to be sure i am covered right? :unsure:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Longknocker
    Options
    I'm guessing your covered but shipping is a killer.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    oohhhhh my stomach just dropped! was it very cold out?? i am egging now and it is about 25 and i always worry firing them up. I take it as slow as I can as I worry about it. hope it works out ok. Julie
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea i live about an hour and a half from the mothership.. so they have been my dealer since day one.. but if i did not you are right shipping would be killer

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    no it is 58 degrees right now... sorry but 25 sounds cold!!! i have not had snow on my egg had freezing rain but no snow that i have cought with me camera.. i was hoping this year to finally get that shot but by the time i got back home it was raining :angry:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Living that close to the mothership should enable you to be up and cooking in a matter of hours. You said you had an idea that caused it. What? So I can avoid it if possible.
    Hammer
  • BENTE
    Options
    i said "i think i know the answer but just to be sure i am covered right?" i meant that i think i am covered but i wanted to make sure ... sorry for the confusion ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    So what do you think caused it?
  • BENTE
    Options
    have no idea..... it was reading 675 and i have been higher than that a hundred times so ........ :blink: :ermm:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Did you by any chance have a cast iron grate or something in your Egg that would have expanded against the shell? Is your firebox cracked in the back? With an intact firebox you should not get the kind of heat against the shell that would crack it unless you had a metal object in the Egg that expanded against the shell. Very strange.

I would think your local dealer would take care of you on this one.

Good luck,

TRex
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Snow -- cold -- it mattereth not!

This ceramic is used in Canada -- where it really gets cold!
  • BENTE
    Options
    no local dealer i have only bought charcoal from there.. i go to the mothership so i think i am ok.. i have a ci grate but it has been on the egg for about 3 yrs (i am guessing but i am close).

yea fire box cracked in the back but it is still all in one piece... it is cracked in the bottom but i am not sure if the bottom itself is cracked and before you ask it has not been out of the nest in 17 months

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• citychicken
    Options
    i had a similar thing happen to me. first the bottom part of my large egg cracked just as you described. since it didn't seem to effect the performance of the egg- i did nothing. however now that the dome just cracked in the same fashion, i am concerned.

i suppose it's time for me to call my dealer or bge. please, if you don't mind, drop an email and let me know how things turned out.

markkal123@yahoo.com
  • BENTE
    Options
    i will save your address. i am sure i will talk to someone at the mothership tomorrow. however it will be late afternoon before i will get a chance to call them

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Hey Terry,
    This kind of thing is very rare and is covered under warranty. Since you bought it from the mothership you'll have to go back to them for resolution. Otherwise, anyone else experiencing this sort of problem can go through their dealer to file a claim for replacement........
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks john i will be able to sleep a little better now thanks again ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Matanuska
    Options
    BENTE -

Just curious, how old is your egg? How do you light it?
  • BENTE
    Options
    i got my egg in early 2002.... i light it with a mapp torch..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Dang Terry,I am sorry to that; between your 'puter crashing and now your egg, I'm starting to think we need to bubble wrap you.Haha. Give me a heads up when you this direction, maybe we can get together for lunch. Send our love to your family!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I feel your pain brotha. Call you know who, at the you know where, and get cooking again.
    Been very busy with work the last few days, hopefully it will slow down a little so I can start posting again.

Mike
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    :ohmy: Very sorry to see that. Just my opinion it craked along the nest where their is a stress point. Even though you never took it out of the nest, have you moved it around any at all. If so then maybe it was not sitting even and caused a stress point. What ever caused it, our sympathey goes out to you. Good luck on getting it covered, I think they should cover it. Keep us updated. :(
  • BENTE
    Options
    i will thanks for the words of encouragement ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    email already sent LOL :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    well by the looks of it i may be there before i plan.. but thanks tell the wife and boys we said hello... yea bubble wrap may work but i think it would just slow down the pain :woohoo: :laugh: :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb