Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black goo???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've noticed (moreso recently but I've been cooking on the Egg a lot more recently as well) that there are lines of some sort of black stuff coming down the outside of my large BGE from the daisey wheel. It doesn't feel tacky like tar, in fact, I really can't feel much of anything but it looks like black tar oozing out of the top of the Egg![p]Is this normal? I use a quality(?) mesquite lump charcoal and ususally use soaked Hickory or mesquite for smoke.

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Headhunter,[p]It's pretty normal. My Egg has them as well.[p]One important consideration is the sex of your Egg.[p]If it is a male Egg those are character marks.[p]If it is a female Egg those are signs of aging.[p]Jethro
  • Headhunter, that's normal! To remove it soak your daisey in household ammonia over night then srub and rinse with water. It's best to wear gloves and avoid breathing in the ammonia fumes. BTW if you want to prove a point with a smoker show them the yuck which is the same as what is going in their lungs. ^oo^~

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Headhunter,[p]Same thing happens to mine. I assumed it was the carbon buildup in the daisy combined with the humidity in the egg from whatever you're cooking condensing and dripping down the outside. Always seems to happen with low and slows or when I use a lot of soaked wood chips.
    After I shut down the egg with the snuffer, I put the daisy inside and the residual heat from the fire seems to burn off most of the buildup.
    But then again, Jethro might be right. :~)[p]WD

• furthermore that is cresol and it common. Most strong household cleaners will get the run streaks off your BGE, though I use a Rutland product called for cleaning fireplace brick.

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    Headhunter,
    Be afraid of the Black Goo - be very afraid![p]Rumor has it that the missing posters on this forum have been assimilated by the "Black Goo".[p]I now arm myself when approaching the BGE - bbq tongs in both hands![p]:)[p]LVM