Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Headed down the Bayou

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Headed to a Superbowl party down the Bayou. Had a blast cooking for a couple days. Getting there early to start warming up some stuff.

Fatty made with garlic sausage, jalapenos, & cheese (no reheat here)

101_1820640x480.jpg

Cuban Pork with Mojo Dipping Sauce

Cuban Pork basting on the Egg
101_1825640x480.jpg

Cuban Pork
101_1826640x480.jpg

Mojo Dipping Sauce
101_1828640x480.jpg

Cin Chili (doubled up)
101_1831640x480.jpg

Italian beef a la Large Marge
101_1832640x480.jpg

Smoked Butt
101_1818640x480.jpg

Italian sausage stuffed mushrooms and jalapenos
101_1830640x480.jpg

See you on the other side

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    What a feast, looks great.

GG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Wow what a spread, looks fantastic!~
    Post your recipies for the mojo marinade and the dipping sauce please. I am very interested in trying that one.
    Have fun!
    Thanx,
    Moly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Dang! I think you're all set. Looks fantastic, and thanks for posting.

Later,
    Cornfed
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Great job!! (probably should not say job, we all know cooking on the egg is anything but a job) :) Just fired up my egg for the lemon pepper wings in an earlier post today, wanted to see the set-up. Glad I stopped to take a look at your post.
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    Wow. That all looks delicious. Care to part with the recipe for the Cuban pork?
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Very nice!! I just ate and I'm hungry again! How did you do the pork? 8 - ),,,,,

Rascal
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I looked at several cuban pork recipes on various web sites and ended up modifying one from the Food Network - Bobby Flay Throwdown. The following is how I modified to cook on the Egg. It was a hit

Ingredients
    4 1/2 cups fresh orange juice, divided
    1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
    1 orange, zested
    1 lime, zested
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
    12 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 to 6-pounds), trimmed of excess fat
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine 4 cups of the orange juice and 1 cup of the lime juice and zest in a large saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 cups.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining orange juice and lime juice add a few cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of the oregano.
    Let cool to room temperature.

Using a paring knife, make slits in the roast and stuff with 10-12 pieces of garlic.
    Whisk together the oil and remaining 1/4 cup of the oregano in a large roasting pan, add the pork and turn to coat. Add one half of the Orange/Lime marinade,
    cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours (I was able to vacuum pack it).
    Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook at dome temp of 300.
    Baste every hour with the reserved marinade cooking until golden brown until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reaches 170 degrees.
    Remove from the Egg, baste with any remaining glaze, tent loosely and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.

Mojo Dipping Sauce:
    8 cloves garlic
    1 serrano chile, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic, serrano, cilantro and a few pinches of salt until it becomes a paste. Add the orange juice, lime juice and oil and stir to combine.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Great spread, Frank! That egg must have been going non-stop. I like the ABT/mushroom pic, and have added a few more items to the grocery list ;) Hope you had a great time there at the SB party.