Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 lbs of butts

Options
BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I decided to keep it simple and just do butts for my super bowl party. I put four 7.5 lb butts on my large yesterday at 12 noon. Here it is 12:39 and 3 of the 4 are still on the egg. One came off about a hour and a half ago when it hit 195. The other three are just over 190 and should come off in a little while.

I'm glad I started early and learned that while each one individually would have been done some time ago the restriction of airflow inside the egg has stretched the cook out. Thank God for the Stoker which is still sitting steady at 225.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Are you measuring the pit temp at the dome or the grid? -RP
  • BamaEGG
    Options
    Rp, I have my Pit probe measured at the grid. In fact the thermometer in the done was stuck a little into one of the butts for most of the cook showing me only a internal temperature for that particular butt which wasn't far off from the meat probe.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Yeah, every time I do four in the large, it takes a lot longer than doing two. Sounds like you will be done in time for the game though, have a good one! -RP
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    I usually add some washers to the dome probe so it does not hit that top piece of meat. But I just receive my digi-q II guru and that will take that need away. I had 5 8+ pounders on a few weeks ago and it is a bit of a juggle as they restricted airflow does slow down the cook some. This cook was actually 24.5 hours. Except for the fire almost going out about 5 hours in the large Egg held temp on it's own all night

I left a couple on until 205 and they were great. Just chicken wings for us today but it is the first time I have done them on the Egg so looking forward to it.
  • BamaEGG
    Options
    This will be one of the few times that I actually finish and have the food prepared in time. Since I got my egg that has been my biggest challenge.

Almost done. Butt 1 = 194, Butt 2 = 189, Butt 3 = 192.5, Butt 4 = in the cooler.

My neighbor took delivery of his first Egg Friday, a XL. He's doing ribs, wings today. As soon as I get the butts off I am going to reload lump and do Baked beans in my Dutch Over I got for Christmas. It will be the first time I've used it.
  • BamaEGG
    Options
    You'll love that guru. I got the Stoker a few weeks ago and it makes those long cooks so much more relaxing. Before I would get up a couple of times in the night to make sure the fire was still going.

Wings on the egg are awesome. Just don't cook them to low or they will be rubbery.