Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Too Hot!

Options
jl0295
jl0295 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friends - Can someone please give me a few tips on how to control the Egg temp. I have a large size egg and am trying to get the temp to 250 or lower for a 12 hour smoke. I cannot get it any less than 300 to 350. The bottom an top vents are barely open (1/4 inch) but no luck. Please help!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    For 250, the bottom vent will only be open the width of the thickness of a quarter, I would suggest closing the bottom vent to 1/16" open, wait 15 minutes, then put your meat in. The cold meat will bring the temp down and the small opening in the vent won't let it get any hotter. -RP
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    What is the bottom vent opening?

Set the top at an 1/8 of an inch and the bottom with just the width of a credit card ( about the same ). And wait... The idea is to creep up on the temp, it takes a long time for the mass of the cooker to drop.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Your basic approach to temperature control at lower temps is to keep the cooker below your target temp and slowly approach it from below. You shut the vents down little by little as you get closer to your target. Here is a link to my webpage on temperature control. Good luck!

Temperature Control Hints and Tips
    The Naked Whiz
  • jl0295
    Options
    Thank you for the help. I started the fire last night at about 3:30 with both vents open 1/4 inch and the temperature got too hot. Sounds like I have too much airflow. However when I got up this morning at 8am, the fire was out. I am confused at this point.
  • Bigger
    Bigger Posts: 15
    Options
    I have had great success getting the temp down quickly by placing a large, dry rock directly in the lump. You could also use a brick. Just make sure it's dry so it doesn't explode.
  • citychicken
    Options
    one thing that you should be aware of is the lump needs to be well lit before throttling back by adjusting your vents for a low and slow cook, otherwise you risk stifling your fire and eventually extinguishing it.. the end result is probably what happened to you assuming that you had enough lump to begin your cook.

one method that i have recommended to the new egger is to get yourself a chimney starter(about $12 and can be found anyplace you can purchase barbecue equipment). load it with lump and follow the directions attached to the chimney starter to light the lump.

now fill the egg with lump to your desired level. for long low and slow cooks you may want to fill the egg to the top of the firebox. once the lump in the chimney starter is fully lit, carefully pour the well lit lump into the firebox of the egg distributing the lit lump across the top of the lump already waiting in the firebox. this ensures an evenly lit manageable fire.

close the dome of the egg and set the top vent approximately 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch open and the bottom vent open approximately the width of a credit card. Now wait!!! the egg's temp may initially indicate temps well above your desired temp, however after a few minutes and as the egg's thermal mass begins to absorb the heat of the lump the temps will settle to a dome temp at or near 250.

although you may discover far easier methods to light the egg, this is one method that will ensure good results without "losing" the fire over night.

Of course, you may want to check out the naked whiz's ceramic charcoal cooking webpage for additional tips on temp control.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tempcontrol.htm