Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken Tonight

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have finally got around to making Tandoori Chicken. I am going with the boneless skinless chicken breasts. I simpley quartered them and set them in the marinade last night. As I was making the marinade, the whole house smelled wonderful.[p]When I get home, Mr. Egg is going up to High Temperature Land. I can hardly wait.[p]I posted the marinade recipe that I used.[p]
[ul][li]Tandoori Marinade[/ul]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    That looks good. I printed it out, and laid it on the counter to try. Betcha it's tasty. What about corriander seeds added to your mix?? Goes nicely with cumin, and is also used in many Tandoori recipes.[p]Thanks for posting that. How are you cooking them this time??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    The coriander seed is in the Tandoori Marsla. One of the recipes that I was deriving the recipe from add some extra cumin. It may be that the Tandoori Marsla as a spice mixture may not contain cumin, but I am not sure.[p]By the way, the same cookbook had a recipe to make your own Oyster Sauce.[p]The chicken is going to get spitted up and shoved through the dome opening in true Tandoori Frashion.[p]I do not now how long it will cook for, I will let you know tomorrow.[p]Now, I really want to go home![p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Yesterday after work I went down to our new downtown market and bought some hard-to-find items, including imported Mexican dried peppers, chili powder...and some tandoori paste. Wanted to try it last night, but I knew that it needed at least a couple hours to marinade to make it worthwhile, so I just threw chicken breasts on with season and garlic salt. Still good, but looking forward to tandoori chicken! While in little spice shop, I saw something (in Mexican section) called black cumin. I use a lot of cumin in my cooking, but have not seen black cumin before (or a recipe calling for it). What's the difference between black and regular ('green') cumin? Is it roasted, or a different strain altogether? Nature Boy, you're the spice king; have you seen or used this?

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Sounds like a winner and a MUST try! By the way, what the %^#*&$#$>? is "Tandoori Marsala" and where do you find it?[p]Smokey

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Black Cumin is a new one to me, but I fairly sure that it is not roasted[p]However, roasting cumin brings out the wonderful qualities of cumin. Simply place your whole cumin seeds in a dry cast iron skillet over medium heat. When you get smacked in the face with the aroma, then you are done. Keep the seeds moving so that they do not burn. Once they have cooled, then grind them. You will be very pleased with the results.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Smokey,
    Tandoori Marsla is an Indian spice mixture, red in color. It is similar to curry powder but it does not contain any turmeric. I have not looked, but I am sure that Penzy’s would have it. It is fairly common and could be found in a little can in Asian or Indian Markets. If you find something called Tandoori Past, you could substitute it.[p]I will write down the spice mixture tonight and post it tomorrow.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Smokey, Marsala is a wine. Masala is a blend of spices. I believe he means the latter. You can find masala in any Indian or mid-eastern market.