Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

alton b's chicken wing technique

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
has anyone tried alton brown's chicken wing technique?

he steams them first for 10 minutes (to render out some of the fat), then into the fridge for 1-2 hours (to dry the wings for more crispy skin), and then in a 425 degree oven for 40 minutes (20 minutes per side) or until crispy brown.

sounded like an interesting technique. think i might give it a try for this sunday's wings.

happy eggin
mark

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    Nope, but if it works I might. Let us know how they turn out. When I've tried his recipes in the past, they have normally been very good.

citychicken wrote:
    has anyone tried alton brown's chicken wing technique?

he steams them first for 10 minutes (to render out some of the fat), then into the fridge for 1-2 hours (to dry the wings for more crispy skin), and then in a 425 degree oven for 40 minutes (20 minutes per side) or until crispy brown.

sounded like an interesting technique. think i might give it a try for this sunday's wings.

happy eggin
    mark
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I've done the T-Rex family method and some slightly modified versions of same. It calls for a 10 minute simmer in a seasoned cider vinegar before going to the cooker.

http://houseoffaulkner.com/wings.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    I saw that episode too and the reason he gave the boil was to render some of the fat so there would be *dramaticaly* less smoke during the cook in the oven. As I watched I figured that if done in the egg the smoke produced would be a non-issue. I figured I would try his recipe but skip the boil and just go straight to the egg.