Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Menus?

Herm
Herm Posts: 206
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So what's on everyone's menu for the biggest game in history? I'm doing a loaded potato bar w/bbq beef, pulled pork, chili, roasted peppers, etc.
and of course ABTs.

Comments

• I am glad you mentioned the ABT's...i almost forgot about them...doing 2 fatties and a butt
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    man that sounds good i am doing chili,stuffed poblanos, and itialian beef ala large marge

Season heavily a 4 to 5 lb sirloin tip roast with salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme- just cover the sucker. Place on a rack in your egg preheated to 375 indirect with drip pan- you want to save the drippings. Roast until your thermometer reads 130 in the center- perfect rare/med rare, you want it tender. Remove and allow to cool. I like to wrap the meat at this point and refrigerate overnight so it slices better. Be sure to deglaze the drip pan with a little water and save all the drippings and broth you've created.
    When ready to slice, fry up 3 tbs olive oil, 6 cloves sliced garlic, 2 green peppers and 2 red peppers (cored and sliced into 1 inch strips), 2 sliced med yellow onions. Sauté all this for 5 mins and add to a large stockpot. Add the drippings / broth from the beef.
    If you have a meat slicer you're golden-- take your roast and slice it as thinly as you can. An electric knife will do the job too or carve away if you can do it thin! Place all the sliced meat and any new juices into the pot.
    Add 2-3 cups beef stock, 1.5-2cups chicken stock, 1/2 cup dry white wine, and a bunch of chopped fresh parsley. Bring to a simmer and cook an hour + 10 mins or so. The meat should be fully cooked through and really tender. Add salt and pepper toward the end to taste- turn everything off and let it rest (overnight is fantastic if you have the patience - but it still tastes great immediately and you'll have plenty left over to see how tender it gets overnight).
    If you live up north and can get good Italian sandwich rolls, go for it. Down here I settle for a good fresh French bread cut up. Dip the bread in the broth and pile it on with meat, peppers, etc. A good jar of hot giardinera (yet another Midwest purchase packed in oil, tough to find down here!), or roasted red peppers goes great.
    Attached some links since I didn't take pics last time- will do so next time- enjoy!
    Source; BGE Forum
    Posted by Large Marge 12-17-07

i also used this recepie

Italian Giardineria
    2 Whole Bell Peppers, Green, Diced
    2 Whole Bell Peppers, Red, Diced
    8 Fresh Jalapeños, Sliced
    1 Stalk Celery
    1 Medium Carrots, Diced tomatoes
    1 Small Onion, Chopped
    1/2 Cup Cauliflower, Florets, Fresh
    1/2 Cup Water
    Water to cover
    2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
    1 Tbs Oregano, Dried
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Flakes
    1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
    1 5 Ozs Jar Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, Chopped
    1 Cup White Vinegar
    1 Cup Olive Oil

Directions:
    1 Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower. Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
    2 The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables. In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives. Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well. Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.
    3 ***************************************************************

Source; via email from Richard Fl

and i used this one as a refrence also

thanks to Meathead

Sandwich, Beef, Chicago Italian Beef Sangwitch

The exact origin is unknown, but it was probably created by Italian immigrants in the early 1900s as they rose from poverty and from ground beef and meat balls into the middle class where they were able to afford beef for roasting. Today, beef "Sangwitches" as the locals pronounce it, are a staple at Italian weddings, funerals, parties, and "business" lunches.
    Equiptment
    A slicer is almost imperative:
    Condiments: peppers and Giardiniera:
    Sliced beef dunked in the broth/drippings:
    Ingredients
    The beef
    1 boneless beef roast, about 3 pounds with most of the fat trimmed
    off. A top sirloin butt, a top round roast, or a bottom round roast
    are preferred in that order. Do not use a fatty roast like the chuck
    or an expensive cut like the loin. Scala's is the purveyor of choice
    in Chicago.
    The rub
    2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    The juice
    4 cups of hot water
    4 cubes of bouillon
    The sandwich
    10 soft, fluffy, high gluten rolls, sliced lengthwise but hinged on
    one side (Gonnella or Turano are the bakers of choice in Chicago)
    3 medium sized green bell peppers
    1 Tbs olive oil, approximately
    1 bottle hot giardiniera
    Italian Giardineria
    2 Whole Bell Peppers, Green, Diced
    2 Whole Bell Peppers, Red, Diced
    8 Fresh Jalapeños, Sliced
    1 Stalk Celery
    1 Medium Carrots, Diced tomatoes
    1 Small Onion, Chopped
    1/2 Cup Cauliflower, Florets, Fresh
    1/2 Cup Water
    Water to cover
    2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
    1 Tbs Oregano, Dried
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Flakes
    1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
    1 5 Ozs Jar Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, Chopped
    1 Cup White Vinegar
    1 Cup Olive Oil

1 It is made by slow roasting lean beef on a rack above a pan filled call it gravy. In Chicago households, "gravy" means tomato sauce.) Then it is sliced paper thin, tissue paper thin, soaked in the juice for a few minutes, and layered generously, dripping wet, into oblong slightly crusty on the outside, fluffy and white in the center, high in gluten, and relatively flavorless. The meat is topped with sauteed green bell pepper slices and giardiniera, which is a spicy hot blend of chopped serrano peppers, carrots, cauliflower florets, celery, olives, and herbs packed in oil. Finally pan drippings are spooned over the toppings making the bread wet and chewy. You can ask for extra juice for dipping, but then everyone will know you ain't from around here. Shockingly, especially for indiginious Chicago fare, it is very low fat. With all those greens and the bun, it is a pretty well-rounded meal.
    1 Allen and Carla Kelson, once restaurant critics for Chicago Magazine famously wrote "To us, it's the archetypal bad sandwich: overdone Plus lots of filler in the giardiniera. But we love it."
    1 Devotees, such as my Italian wife, say it should only be topped with Melrose peppers, a long slender, thin walled green pepper that was brought over from Italy and was named for the heavily Italian suburb of Melrose Park. They are sauteed and served whole, with seeds. Virtually no restaurants make it this way, but many home cooks/gardeners, including my wife's family, cultivate this variety of fancy and use colorful sauteed red peppers or yellow peppers.
    1 I have tried to make a simple recipe that is easy to make and will taste as good as Al's. My recipe is triangulated from several know, takes the time to cut slits in the meat and stud it with Whenever I ask him for the secret to his Italian Beefs, he says "fogedaboudit."
    Cooking Time:
    1 Allow about 2 hours to cook and another 3 hours to firm the meat for slicing in the refrigerator if you don't have a meat the meet and juice and heat it up as needed. You can even freeze it. minutes to chill it before slicing.
    Serve with:
    1 A green salad with Italian dressing and French fries or tater tots.
    Drinks
    1 The traditional drink is diet cola because most beef stands don't beer or red wine.
    Do this:
    1 If you wish, you can cut small slits in the surface of the meat Otherwise, mix the rub in a bowl. Sprinkle it generously on the meat minutes 45 minutes.
    Meanwhile:
    1 preheat the oven to 400F and put a rack just below the center of the oven. but it will cook down and concentrate during the roasting. Pour the interior termperature is 140F for medium rare, about 30 minutes per slows things down. The temp will rise about 5F when it rests. Don't juice until it turns to leather if that's what they want.
    While the meat is roasting
    1 (mmmmm, smells sooooo good), cut the heat with enough olive oil to coat the bottom, about 1 tablespoon. done. Set aside at room temp.
    2 Remove the roast and the juice pan. Place the roast in the coldest up. Slice the meat against the grain as thin as humanly possible. Use a thin blade and draw it along the red part of the meat. If you try butcher to cut. That's a good strategy if you don't have a meat slicer. That's all. That cooks the meat through and makes it very wet. But they have committed a mortal sin. At Mr. Beef, for example, I watched juice with meat protein and seasoning from the crust.
    To assemble the sandwich:
    1 Start by spooning some juice directly onto the bun. Get it wet. Then lay on the beef generously. Spoon on masks the meat and gravy flavor. If you want it "wet", dip the whole shootin match in juice. Be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand.
    Variations on the theme:
    The "Combo":
    1 Most Italian beef joints offer a "combo" which also has These are thick, uncured coarsely paprika, black pepper, red or green bell peppers, onions, garlic, sausages are made in your choice of mild, medium, or hot.
    The "Cheef":
    1 Cover it with shredded mozzarella and/or provalone, many stands offer this mutant strain.
    With "Gravy":
    1 An even rarer and more heretical variant, topped with marinara.
    The "Soaker":
    1 Just dip the bread in the juice and you have the Sugo pane is also commonly made with marinara sauce.
    Gourmet Italian Beef?
    1 If you want the original, traditional Italian Beef Sangwitch, follow Use a chuck roast. Suggested by my friend David Rosengarten, the chuck is a fattier cut, so the meat will be more tender and order to skim off the fat. Stud it fith fresh garlic and onions as my brother-in-law recommends. Cook it low and slow at 225-275F. Another Rosengarten idea. Cook it in a smoker with very little smoke. Instead ofm using boullion, use a beef or veal stock and simmer real onions and garlic in it.
    This is Italian Giardineria.
    1 It is wonderful on Chicago style Italian beef sandwiches, sausage sandwiches, French dips, pastas or even as a pizza topping. You can even snack on it as is if you choose. Once you taste it you will figure out what you prefer to use it on."
    2 PREP TIME 45 Min
    3 COOK TIME 2 Days 2 Hrs
    4 READY IN 2 Days 2 Hrs 45 Min
    Directions:
    1 Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower. Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
    2 The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables. In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives. Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well. Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.
    3 ***************************************************************

Yield: Makes about 10 sangwiches W/about 1/4 pound meat.d
    Preparation time: 20 minutes
    Cooking time: 2 hours

Recipe Type
    Sandwich

Recipe Source
    Author: Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn
    Source: BGE Forum, Bobbyb, 05/27/07
    Date: Mon, 21 May 2007
    Subject: more on the Chicago Italian Beef Sandwitch
    Chicago Italian Beef Sangwitch
    Recipe By: Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn

i would love the potato bar i love potatoes if you get a chance make them twice baked with pulled pork or the beef from your bar

DSCN0276.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Just a bunch of appetisers. AZRP Spicy Shrimp cocktail. Scampi. Then some Italian sausage stuffed shrooms. Still pondering a slab of babybacks.

Mike
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    That's what I'll be doing with the leftovers on Monday!
  • Finally decided...

Busy Saturday night and the eggs will be working hard (looks like all in the snow).

1st half, finger food and smoked cheese asorted drinks.

Half time, is sandwich time:
    Pastrami burgers
    Dutch Oven Pot Roast & Onion Sub's
    Pulled Pork

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Sundays menu includes
    2 Pork Butts
    2 Briskits
    1 Top round Roast
    2 Porkloins
    8 Chickens (cut up)
    Chili
    Jambalaya
    Texas Hash (wifes recipe)
    Wings (100)
    assorted Brauts, burgers, and dogs.
    Surprise is 3 Fatties, trying to time to be done at halftime.
    Right now I'm doing nuclear burns on the grill trailer since it hasent been used since Oct.
    Cookers include my 2 LBGE, Trailer has 1 LBGE & Oklahoma Joe side box smoker
    with New Holland and side burner (all used mainly as warmers). Trailer is the one in profile.
    Friends bringing lots of sides so if your in the Fla. area come on by.

I'm fired up is an understatement. :laugh:

Here's to good cooks for all.

Pat
  • FlaPoolman
    Sad to say but we could use a little chill down here. Expecting 80 plus people and high is forcast for 79-80. A C gonna be running overtime with this crowd.

Pat
  • freak!
    hahaha

i'm doing two butts, one brisket flat, 3 slabs baby backs, and some chicken thighs. maybe some abt's tomorrow.
  • You are just mean :angry:

I would be happy to trade some of your hot for our cold. I feel I am going to freeze to death in all this Global Warming we have going on here.

I have to use my egg lighting flame thrower aimed at the cement patio, then go stand on that area in order to get some indirect heat on me while cookin.

GG
  • You are just mean :angry:

I would be happy to trade some of your hot for our cold. I feel I am going to freeze to death in all this Global Warming we have going on here.

I have to use my egg lighting flame thrower aimed at the cement patio, then go stand on that area in order to get some indirect heat on me while cookin.

GG
  • Oooops, you see how cold it is. Shiverin so hard I hit the mouse button twice.
  • Pat,

I was waiting to say you were going to do all that on a small.
  • FlaPoolman
    Be happy to trade 10 or 15 dergees. With temps that high most will be inside, but we will have shade tents up. It is strange that when your hot you wanna be cold and when cold you wanna be hot. Good news is no rain in Forcast. Open invite to you GG. Come on down and give me some Egging tips. :silly: ;):):):) .

Pat (the hot :whistle: poolman)
  • FlaPoolman
    That was Mrs pools response :angry:

Pat
  • If we are going to trade we have to do a bunch more than 15°. I wouldn't even get up to the freezin point.

I'd love to come down there and even help with the pool stuff. You'd probably be teaching me.

Shade tents to cool off... how would it be.

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    LOL Your always welcome down here. OK last offer 20 degrees and thats
    non -negotiable. I'll supply the meat, you bring the drink.
    Sign here__________. LOL :P :P :P

Pat
  • All right 20°. Drinks and Ice cubes.

Crap, now I have sharpie 'Grandpas Grub' on my screen. Mabey some acetone will get it off the lcd monitor.

Good cookin for SB Sunday. Kent
  • FlaPoolman
    LOL not kidding. You get down this way open invite is there. Forget the ice it will melt just south of jacksonvile then you have another 2 1/2 hrs with just cold water. But sure could use some help with the menu we have & 3 LBGE's going at the same time. Dont know how they do it in the competitions without help. So come on down GG, I'll even chip in for airfare :cheer: :silly: :blink: :) .

Pat
  • Italian beef a la Large Marge
    Cuban Pork
    Italian sausage stuffed mushrooms
    Garlic Sausage fatty
    Cin Chili
  • Pat,

Thanks for the invite hopefully at some point in time we can get down your way.

We all cook on our eggs and the reports are fantastic. It is always fun to see the pictures but it would be a fun to sample all these beautiful dishes.

Like Mikes Catfish cook the other night. Those looked great then I got to thinking about toasting some buns and making a hot blackened catfish sandwhich. The beans tonight looked great, then Jacks steaks and on and on. Most of the time there is must the Mrs and I so testing and trying all these things gets to be a real chore.

I know what's got me goin on. It is Chris' fault. I got my first order of Dizzy and I opened the bottles just to smell.

I am looking and talking about all this food and there is a hint of aroma from the rubs. Dang it. Well, I guess that's what all the 'fests' are for.

Anyway, thanks and be well my friend. Time to get the crutches and chase grandma arountd the coffee table.

Kent
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Uh... My wife wants spaghetti...

But -- in two weeks we're havin' a Mid-Winter-Fest -- and we're gonna DESTROY whatever edible shows up... and feed it to the neighbors.

Oh, yeah -- We'll save a little for ourselves!

Everyone have a great foosball day!

~ Broc
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Smoked wings, ABTs w/pork butt, bacon,etc., fatties, brunswick stew, sausage/cheese dip, prosciutto panino w/crackers, egged cookies, gallon of bloody mary and lots of beer :blink: