Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Secrets From Inside The Pizzeria

Options
Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Secrets From Inside The Pizzeria:

It to some time and some hunting but I got it. This is the best pizzia I ever made. Crispy right off the Egg and home made sauce also.

100_0640.jpg

100_0641.jpg

It's all in the flour, this recipe calls for a high protine flour, 14% or higher. Also after you make the dough coat it with a little evo and put in a zip lock. Let sit in frig for two days. When ready to use take it out and use rice flour to from your pizza.

Happy Egging All

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Glad you had a good experience. For 30 bucks I was rather disappointed...really an amateur production, especially when they went on & on & on about how to tweak a sauce with this, that or whatever. JMHO...

Rascal
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that looks great will you send me the recepie? ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 14
    Options
    Man now that is a pizza!!! I am starving now...thanks :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Rascal,

Thanks for the insite.

When I searched the site and saw all the looooong sale pitch and testimonials I began to wonder. Looked like a bit of the late night infomercials.

Nice pitch and site though.

GG
  • Smokin' Lady
    Options
    Was it only rice flour you used for the crust? Did you do it in a bread machine or by hand? I too am still searching for the perfect crust.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Looks good but what is with the rice flour.Do you dust it with that before you form the pie,or roll out the pie and put the flour on the bottom,or top and bottom?
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Type in on the search forum (Pondering the Perfect Pizza)It is very good.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    the other day when whoever it is (i still have problems searching this forum). that requested pizza advice. my computer crashed three weeks ago (and wednesday night lost all my email contacts AGAIN) i thought i was providing THIS ONE but i did not. sorry for supplying the forum with comercials :( :angry: :ermm:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Man, that is one fine looking pizza! Can I get 2 slices to go?
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    PBM,
    The pizza looks great! If is halfway as good as it looks; it'll be good!
    Hammer
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    What temperature did you cook it at? I found if I used high protein flour my pizza would come out burnt at 650 degrees. I was going to try somewhere in the range of 450 to 500 next time.
  • ShortRIb
    Options
  • Smokin' Lady
    Options
    Got it, thanks a lot!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    You only use the rice flour to dust it before you form the pie. Also the worst thing to do is use a rolling pin to form your dough. It compresses the dough and makes it tough.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Plastic bags work well when you have to fit the dough into small spaces in the refrigerator, but this storage method often results in misshapen doughs, which are harder to make round. Also, if the dough is not stiff enough, it will tend to pancake and lose gasses in a bag. So I prefer to put doughs into containers with straight sides for better gas retention – it is also easier to tell when the doughs have risen to double in size.
    Dough – It’s in the Flour and Technique
    The New York thin crust pizza is made from a lean dough formulation – which means it has very little except water, yeast, salt, and flour. The dough formula looks similar to a French loaf formula.
    Basic Lean Dough Formulation for 16-inch Pizza
    1/4 -1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon oil
    Flour – about 3 to 3 1/2 cups to make a stiff dough
    You may look at the recipe and think it doesn’t look much different from a hundred others you’ve seen. Ah, but ... it is the flour and technique that lift it to the sublime!
    Tom Monaghan, former owner of Domino’s Pizza, always talked about Domino’s secret sauce. I found that curious, until one day he slyly said to me, “Bev, the secret is not the sauce; it’s the dough.” Yes, anybody can duplicate a basic dough, and recipes are a dime a dozen.
    A big change from bread making you will see in the thin crust pizza method describe in this book is that the dough is refrigerated at least 2 days before using.

The rice flour is just for dusting the dough ball when ready to use.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Would this be a good dough to freeze ? I would love to have a half dozen balls in the freezer for nights that I do not have time to make it. I know most of what is bought in the grocery store is frozen, so it sees so I guess just wondering if any one had one that stood up well. Julie
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    I am sorry Julie, the book says it is no good to freeze this dough. It does say it last in the frig up to a week or so. Have not try that yet. Again the biggest factor is the right flour.

To make New York style pizza, choose the hard spring wheat. This wheat will have protein ranging 14% and above as compared to bread flour around 12-13% and all purpose flours about 10-11% which are good for cakes and cookies. Spring wheat is grown mostly in Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Montana, and into Canada.

Also do not use a rolling pin. Just form your pizza out by hand, and use rice flour for dusting when forming out your shap, the rice flour is supposed to make it more crispy. Good Luck

If you have any more questions just email me.

Mike
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    What a great picture. I bet it tastes great. We love to cook pizza's on the egg. It is definitely a crowd favorite. We cooked seven pizza's and fed 14 people for dinner a couple of weeks ago. The pizza that got the most compliments was the left over baby back rib meat pizza. I believe we could sell them! :blink:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    if you like the rib pizza you have to try the pulled pork. use BB sauce , then pulled pork, thin sliced red onions and cheese. HEAVEN! Julie
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    Thats a great suggestion. I will try that. I'm hungry already.