Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shelf life question

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well i am deffinatly making itialian beef for the super bowl. thanks to large marge, meat head and recepie guru RichardFl. so this morning i finished up making the itialian giardineria. as i was putting this recipie into two mason jars i was wondering what is the shelf life of this.

Italian Giardineria
2 Whole Bell Peppers, Green, Diced
2 Whole Bell Peppers, Red, Diced
8 Fresh Jalapeños, Sliced
1 Stalk Celery
1 Medium Carrots, Diced tomatoes
1 Small Onion, Chopped
1/2 Cup Cauliflower, Florets, Fresh
1/2 Cup Water
Water to cover
2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
1 Tbs Oregano, Dried
1 Tbs Red Pepper, Flakes
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1 5 Ozs Jar Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, Chopped
1 Cup White Vinegar
1 Cup Olive Oil

Directions:
1 Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower. Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
2 The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables. In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives. Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well. Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.

source: via email from RichardFl

the mason jars are not sealed but there is alot of vinager in there. but there is also olive oil in there and i am not sure how long it takes to go rancid. i also have no idea what rancid is. do you smell it or does it just ruin the taste?

thanks ;);)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Options
    I imagine you wouldn't have much problem getting a few weeks (probably more) out of it refrigerated. I couldn't see on the recipe how much salt was initially used. But basically, you're doing a form of pickling between the salt and plenty of vinegar and oil (the oil is a preservative too).

Rancid oil tastes bad, but polyunsaturated oils tend not to even if they are rancid. The olive oil (mono-saturated) should be able to tell you whether it is or not. But with that kind of vinegar involved, I'd expect it to take months. (And after all, how long do you leave an opened gallon can of olive oil hanging around - months)?

Enjoy the bowl and the meal.

- Ed
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Hey Terry. How you? Saw that mixture on this site last x-mas. Bought some at bi-lo.It's sitll in the fridge minus a few pc. of veggies. Don't think it has any oil I have not read the ingeredirnts, but I will when I get. home. Shelf life ??? couple weeks as a guess, may be longerwith fresh veggies with no chems. I made some red tomato chow chow in Nov. with all fresh stuff it has a life of two mo. in fridge only no cooking or canning involved. I'am sure others will help you. How bout a newer pic of the baby? Is thet an egg on the outfit? Miles out.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    If it was me I would not have a problem for 2-3 months or more with all the vinegar. If it lasts that long.
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea i leave olive oil out you can see the container i keep it in behind my salt cellar in this photo.

101_0264.jpg

but doesn't light have something to do with going rancid? :unsure:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    yea i need to take another pic. i will make anopther pic at the next clothes changing wich should not be long now :laugh: :lol: :woohoo:

that was a onsie i sent to hungry man he makes egg shirts here is the linkhttp://www.allcustomshirts.com/catalog/. he made all kinds of shirts and towels here is a pic that max took at eggtoberfest.

parkerbente.jpg

hope alls well in g-ville

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    garlic can be a botulism risk, but you have an acidic environment, and it shouldn't be a concern.

don't go infusing your own olive oil with garlic, though. not enough acidity to kill the spores
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggweiser
    Options
    I made Itialian Beef ( the Large Marge way) over the long New years weekend. It was great stuff. I cooked a 6 pound piece of meat for the wife and I. I ate Itialian beef sandwiches all weekend and I think I will be making more this weekend. I think it is time to throw anothe 40 doller piece of meet on the Fatty Furnace. If you are out there Marge Thanks for the Recipie.
    One key is to find some good fresh bread.
    I will try to post a pic.
    P1010069.jpg
  • BENTE
    Options
    i hope it does i am not sure though i will proabably be the only one eating it around here. but i seeded and deveigned the jalapenos to make sure it was not too hot. good thing i am not having anyone from chicago over any time soon they would proabably say its good but its not from chicago.....lol :whistle: even though i would welcome anyone from chicago to come try and hopefully they will bring some of that green relish they put on hotdogs. ican't find any that is the right color. the relish around here is made by mt olive and is not that neon green color :( :( :ermm:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    Light good question. I have never thought about that. Mine sits on the counter with one o the pour spouts like the food T V cooks / chefs use. Would like to learn more about that subject. Miles out.
  • BENTE
    Options
    that looks gfood i will be trying it with a piece of beef eye round. i usually ues it for pit beef but i think this will also be good. thanks for the pic i mine will look a bit diffrent. the reason i am doing the itialian beef is a couple years ago i had to run the grill during the super bowl and was not happy about doing it. but this year we are heading over to a friends house and taking the small to make those stuffed portabellas AZRP made the other night and a little chili in the dutch oven. we will start cooking around 2 so i should be able to watch the whole game this year :woohoo: the bread threw me until i found a recepie that said to use a itialian bread... if this is a hit for the family i will venture into making the bread my self on the egg. now that would be a picture!11 ;);)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    stike would proabably be the one to ask that questrion to i think i have seen him answer questions like that with alot of knowledge :unsure:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    Just so happens I ordered one of the K. A. deals. Whin it gets here I'll make some ole chow chow for Smiley's cafe. How you like it??? hots or mild. When I say hot I mean if you drop it on the ground it will eat all the way thru the earth and wipe out some chinese. Now thats good on dogs,brats beans etc. Let me know. Miles out
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Hmmmmm..... I've been making my own garlic-infused olive oil for years and have nerver had a problem. In a mason jar on the counter for 2-3 days, inverting every now & then to stir. Then I remove all the garlic and store the oil in the fridge where it will set up almost like butter over time. Whenever I need some I simply scoop a few tbsp. out of the jar. I'll also save the garlic for a few days and us it as needed in a recipe. My favorite use for the oil is sauteeing vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, string beans, etc. in the wok. JMHO.

Rascal
  • BENTE
    Options
    i am going to use my hamilton beach until it poops out. i have made alot of stuff in mine over the last 7 years... man i hate to git rid of it :laugh: :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggweiser
    Options
    I think this pice was a Beef Eye Round that I wsed to make what I call Ginniss Beef. There is a can of Guinness beer and beef broth and BBQ sauce in the last pic where it simmerd and smoked for a few hours.
    IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/edweiser66/P1000860.jpg[/IMG]

P1000868.jpg
  • BENTE
    Options
    HEREis the link for pit beef and here is the picture.
    101_0353.jpg

if you have not tried it do so soon it is wonderful. i made a bunch for christmas eve at my fathers house and it was gone in under a half hour..... :cheer: :cheer:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    don't have a wok but i have a stir fry pan. i know not the same but i rarely even use the stir fry pan LOL :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggweiser
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Pit beef is on the menue for next weekend. Thanks