Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking on a raised Grid what are the advantages?

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
I was wondering the advantages of cooking on a raised grid. I have used the plate-setter for indirect cooking.... just wanted to know when you employ the raised grid option. I am considering buying a WOO2 and spider just want to learn more about tricking my egg out ;)
~Pharmeggist

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm still a newbie, but I believe:

#1: It's a little warmer up there, so you may save a little on fuel

#2: More cooking space

-jeeves
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Also, it takes the cook a little further away from the fire.

Greg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Taike a look at the adjustible rig with the spider...

I find cooking on a raized gird is a bit moister. It also allows one to cook direct with the meat further away from the lump, less burning.

I read a post sometime ago and the person was talking about a 'sweet spot' in the egg. I didn't know enough at that and I am now wondering if that is what they were refering to.

GG
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    My goodness...he lives! How's it going? Do you still need volunteers for that show for the BBQ Guru guys? Let me know...ya gotta come check out the new Small BGE I picked up. That thing is awesome!

Oh, sorry...raised grid. Hmm...well, the temps are hotter up there, and you're further away from the direct flame. I did some country cut ribs and some poblano chiles the other day (sorry, no pics...) on a raised grid direct. I just stacked the 2" fire ring on top of the standard fire ring, and the grid sat just about at the felt line. It's really nice to cook at that level, too.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Two advantages come to mind, the heat is more even so it's easier to control doneness and color. The fats dripping onto the coals are like flavor bombs.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • citychicken
    Options
    have to let you know your's is a must site for the egger of any experience level from beginner to expert. now with the video - way too cool!!!

by the way, you speak of "flavor bombs"...

i love spatchocked chicken el pollo loco style which calls for an overnight dip in a marinade with canola oil (one of the ingredients). but the problem i have encountered is that when the chicken is put on the egg the jusice hit the lump and cause an acrid smoke.

do you possibly have some thoughts on this? I find myself now doing an indirect cook to avoid the acrid smoke which imparts a negative flavor to the chicken. am i missing something?

happy eggin
    mark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    gets the meat closer to the dome where you can take advantantage of the radiant heat, roasts dont need to be turned up there as often. low and slows like chicken thighs can be done direct on a raised grill if you only fill the fire box half way there is enough distance from the fire that the bad smoke doesnt seem to stick to the meat, duck also can go on with a direct cook raised grill. the heat flows better, no dead spots like with an inderect platesetter, this allows skin to crisp up on chicken better, even at low temps. i cook ribs at 225 raised grill direct with minimul lump, same setup as the chicken thighs. direct setups burn less lump, alot less lump than an inderect setup. more distance means less flare ups. you can hang jerkey thru the raised grid with tooth picks or skewers. i use the adjustable rig with the spider, has more options than the woo
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Mark,

Thanks for the kind words, I have a long way to go with the video's Heheee.

A couple of the downsides to cooking raised direct are marinated meats or basting too often (or too much). Ideally, in this kind of cooking, the fats sweat out of the meat to co-mingle with the seasonings on the surface at their own pace. Since marinades have an oil base......well, you see where I'm headed.

Chicken is especially famous for picking up flavors from bad smoke, and in this case burning oils from the marinade. On the Egg, you don't have the option of going to a larger fire or getting more distance, so the only thing that comes to mind would be to blot off the marinade on the surface and use some reserved (un-used) marinade for basting a few times toward the end of the cook, like a finishing sauce.

DSC03848a.jpg

I only do a spatchcocked thing on (dark) half birds sometimes adding a layer of mayo to hold moisture and lock the seasonings on the surface. When it's close to done, I'll use my finishing sauce.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Funny you mention tricking out the egg. The picture shows what I've been play with this week on the Rig. Between the Rig and Woo2, the Rig offers more options for trickability.

Folks in the thread have pegged the advantages of raised grid cooking. One thing I'll add is handling food at or above the felt line is easier. Tom

applejuicespatchcockbird015.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Tom,

Got 2 more grids for the rig and am now ready for a nice jerky session.

I really like the rig and spider. I am using the spider a lot and enjoy using it inverted for a drip pan holder and for Dutch Oven cooks. The spider is a real handy accessory.

Kent
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    B) COOL!!! Thanks for the picture too!