Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done a search on the forum and see nothing re beef short ribs...I've cooked them up by braising before, but wonder what success anyone's had with marinating and grilling 'em. Slow cook or would a marinate soften 'em up enough to cook at a higher temp?

Comments

• Headhunter,[p]Here ya go...[p]
    Beef Short Ribs "Rub 'N Coke"
    Rub
    Category: Short Ribs
    Group: Short Ribs
    Submitted by: NOBIV n_barrios@yahoo.com [p]

Beef Short Ribs "Rub'n Coke"
    Ingredients:
    • ? lb Beef Short Ribs (How many is up to you)
    • 1 Cup Sugar n The Raw
    • 1 Cup Brown Sugar
    • 1 Cup Kosher Salt
    • 1 Cup Coffee (Fine Grind - Or your preference)
    • 1 Tbs Chili Powder, Paprika, White & Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Herbs d' Provence, Cumin, Curry, Nutmeg, Cinnamon
    • 1 qt 2 Liter of Coke [p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • Rub Preparation; I am not a big fan of measuring so the rub is of your choice but it is what I find to be the best ratios and ingredients. It provides a sweet, hot, and different flavor kind of "woodsy". So experiment.
    • Blend ingedients in food processor to completely combine.
    • Rub short ribs (generously) you paid some good money for the ribs so don't go cheap on the rub.
    • Refrigerate if you like or let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
    • When rub is complete go start the grill and get to 200-225 degrees.
    • Use dry wood chips (Again your choice) I use 4-6 chunks - scattered throughout the grill.
    • Use plate setter and pan of water for moisture.
    • Remove from fridge or counter place the ribs on the grill[p]
    Cooking Directions:
    • Grill Short Ribs at 200-225 for 3 hours.
    • After 3 hours remove and set aside.
    • Place short ribs in a second tin (first was filled with water on plate setter)
    • Fill second tin with a 2 liter of coke (I like coke but use whatever you want - my next batch will be coke and Woodward Reserve)
    • Cover with foil
    • Remove 1st tin with water.
    • Replace grill and place 2nd tin with ribs/coke on grill
    • Baste for 1 additional hour at 200-225.
    • Remove from grill and let sit for 30/45 minutes then serve [p]Special Instructions:
    • Rub is an experiment so have fun. I have even used coco. For me it is gotta be sweet, a little salty, a little hot and different. That's why I like the coffe or coco.
    • Coke is different but it works to keep the meat moist and does not impede the rub or the flavor. [p]
  • i just rub with lysanders,, 250 till they are done takes a long time. indirect, hickory watch out as there was lots of fat drippings . i did 2.5 lbs on the mini for 6 hours and they were not quite done.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    This one first appeared in Gourmet magazine many years ago. It's still quite popular and easy to find with a Google search (as I just did). Although I've yet to try it on the Egg, it was always a big hit coming off the old Weber. You might find that you'll need to cook the ribs a bit longer than suggested. Bon appetite!

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/korean/short-ribs2.html

Rascal
  • More responses on greeneggers.net. Just scroll up and click on the link.[p]Also try this website:

[ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/09/beef-beef-ribs.html[/ul]
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I marinate the scallions in a seperate bag from the meat.

Rascal
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    (Hoping the image shows up.)

Short ribs take quite awhile to get tender. If I recall, the ones above were close to 5.5 hours, direct, dome at 250. Marinated the night before, rubbed, and mopped a few times towards the end.

Its a good idea to be ready to foil them, tho'. While marinades or brining add extra fluid, there's so much cartiledge in some that they can get dry before they get good and tender.

gdenby
  • Rascal wrote:
    This one first appeared in Gourmet magazine many years ago. It's still quite popular and easy to find with a Google search (as I just did). Although I've yet to try it on the Egg, it was always a big hit coming off the old Weber. You might find that you'll need to cook the ribs a bit longer than suggested. Bon appetite!

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/korean/short-ribs2.html

Rascal

I make something very similar to that except I use honey instead of sugar, and I put the scallions in the mixture. I'll marinate some thin strips of steak/beef (not ribs) in the mixture for an hour or so and grill direct at fairly high temp. Then I'll roll the strips of meat in a "flamed" square of seaweed with some rice. Kimchee in the roll or on the side. Mmmmmmmm. The key to the mix is not to overdo the Sesame oil. A little of that stuff goes a long way.

I haven't made that in a long time. Looks like I need to go get some Kimchee and seaweed.

Meat
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Thanks for the responses, guys. It's going to snow like heck here tonight and I'm determined not to be a woosie about it...I picked up two packages of beef short ribs today and will Egg them on Saturday. I didn't know what to do until now...my previous efforts haven't been spectacular.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    These are the only thing I have tried on the egg and have never had very good results.

The problem is not the egg it is me, I am probably not giving them the attention they need.

Kent
  • I recently bought a rack of short ribs (whole) and had the butcher cut it in half (through the bones -- hoizontally if you were to stand the ribs on end). Coated them about an hour before the cook with with mustard paint and and a good coating of Cow Lick, then smoked them for about two and half hours. Meantime I prepared a pot of braising vegetables and liquid (your choice on both) and then braised them for another two hours or so. Defatted the liquid after it had cooled and then threw the liquid and the veggies into the food processer to produce a "gravy" (no thickener). They were falling off the bone delicious.
  • I have tried and tried to get these to be tasty from the egg. However, I haven't found the right chemistry yet. But I will conquer. The best non egg recipe I have is to rub them then braise them in a cast iron skillet. Then place them in a crock pot with one can of beef broth and one tablespoon of lime juice. Cook 4 or 5 hours on high. Make gravy out of drippings. My next egg-sperience for them is braise them, then wrap them in foil while I cook them in the egg for four hours. Then take them out and finish them for one hour direct. I will let you know if that is successful.
  • DynaGreaseball,[p]Is that 1 cup of coffee grounds?
    As in the kind you put in a coffee pot, boil, and then throw away?

• Michael B,[p]Yes. I assume he meant the same thing you get when you go to the grocery store and grind your own, since he said "fine grind - or your choice".[p]You gonna try it?

• Does the caffine keep you up?