Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fillets tonight, but not first choice

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a casting net today. Been trying to land some fresh mullet all day. No luck.
Had to switch to fillet mingons (sp?). Any proven methonds. I'm assuming I sear them. Looking for seasonings and times.[p]Any casting net tips would be appreciated too. My hunting and gathering skills have diminished since the invention of the supermarket...

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Wardster,[p]About the cast net see this page for tips and instructions. I could teach you in person much quicker, but this will get you there. Here is another one on video online, but you have to give some personal info to watch.[p]The seasonings we like are simple salt and pepper for the steaks and the times are subjective to the thickness of the cut. I like a three minute sear on each side and about a two - three minute dwell for a med inch and a half cut at 550º.[p]HTH, [p]Ashley
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Sorry about that broken link it should be available here for general instructions. [p]AShley
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Personally, I would prefer the filets over the fish. That said, I did some 1.5" filets tonight on my small Egg at 550-600 deg. I did mine for 10 min and flipping every 3-4 min. No dwelling.[p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Tim M,
    When you do your steaks sans dwell (that there is French, ya' know...) do you close the lid and just open up to flip?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Yes, I think. I did some filets last night on the small Egg. Since my wonderful mail order meat company (Acherman & Cooke) went out of business last month, I have been trying to find another company as good. I just received a shipment from a company called StockYards. Not the most appealing name for a meat company but appropriate. They were not good and not worth what I paid. Anyway, I digress. I got the Egg up to 550-650 (it's max btw) and added the questionable meat. 4 min, flip, 3 min, flip, 2 min, test with thermo, flip, test - eat. It goes something like that for whatever time it takes. I close the dome between flips.[p]Tim