Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

?? Ken Stone

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I will be doing another beer butt chicken late this afternoon or tomorrow. I just received ken Stone's Easy Life and Gilded Splinters Rub, which one would you recommend, and how long should it set on the chick before being egged????[p]Is putting the rub just on the skin O.K. or should I try to get some under the skin.[p]Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I would have to vote for the Gilded Splinters as that EZ life is far too spicy for my blood. I would rub it only on the skin and then get ready for some good eats. That is some great stuff. I got mine last week and I am fixin to order a big batch.[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Bob,[p]I agree with your call to go with Gilded Splinters for the beer butt chicken. I enjoy both of these rubs, and I love the heat from the EZ-Life rub. Also, Cornfed, like George, usually likes his chicken spicy. However, I personally enjoy the unique taste/texture of beer butt chickens without a lot of heat. I say use the tasty Gilded Splinters rub and save the EZ-Life for when you want to do some Buffalo Chicken Breasts (rub with EZ-Life, grill, then cover with buffalo wing sauce and shake to coat...umm umm good!!!).[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Grumpa
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Durn...now my taste buds are running wild. I reckon I will have to stop and pick up a yard bird on the way home tonight.

• Bordello
    Options
    Bob,
    What-a Y bird?????? Regular chick or something else??
    New Bob

• Grumpa
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Nothing special...down here in the south we call have many names for the common chicken :~)

• elFloyd
    elFloyd Posts: 50
    Options
    New Bob,[p]That would be a yard bird..... a type of bird that runs around the barn yard scratch'n at the dirt. It's know for it's production of breakfast eggs, crowing at sunrise, and fulfilling it's life's purpose with the help of a big green egg.

• Bordello
    Options
    elFloyd,
    Just checking, been about 45 years sense I have seen one that is alive. Wanted to be sure I was not missing out.
    New Bob

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    New Bob,
    I use the EZ life as a table condiment (it's kept on the table, as a matter of fact). Gilded Splinters is very good as a rub/spice blend for cooking. I rub it on the skin, and under the skin with a little olive oil and some extra chopped garlic.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Bordello
    Options
    Bob,
    I think I need to get out of the city for awhile.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Gretl,
    Thank you, I need all the help I can get when it comes to cooking. Olive oil with the Gilded it is.
    Cheer back to ya,
    New Bob