Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gonna Try the Sauce Thang

WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a simpleton when it comes to sauces.
I don't use them except for vinegar based hot sauce on my Q pork or unless following a specific recipe.[p]Having said that, I'm looking for suggestions on bbq sauces that are fairly easy to find commercially that are not overly sweet and do not already have smoke flavor added... my only criteria.[p]Dry rubs have always been my gig but I am hoping to expand sauce consciousness especially into the realm of chicken and pork.
Anyone know of any?[p]Cheers,[p]WD

Comments

• WooDoggies,
    my favorite is a sauce from Sam's warehouse "Cattleman", but it does have a smokey flavor.

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    WooDoggies, Hey buddy,[p] What I did (and most do) before I made my own, is start with your favorite sauce and then add flavors (spices, liquids) that you like until you get something you can say is good.
    Keep good notes so you can make it again.[p]Marv

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    WooDoggies,[p]A really good one I've tried is made by Shake, who posts on the Basso forum, and is available via http://www.thebbqshack.com[p]Another one I enjoy which is more readily available is Bonesuckin' sauce. I particulary enjoy the "Hot" version.[p]Finally, I've enjoyed the Dinosaur BBQ Habanero BBQ sauce. Great flavor, and a nice heat kick.[p]Hee,
    Cornfed

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    WooDoggies, only because I grew up in SC, my favorite is Maurice Bessinger's Mustard Based sauces. He has several different varieties and I like them. Others may differ. He has a web site where you can order.
    [ul][li]Maurice Bessinger[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Marv ,
    My father sold BBQ in his grocery store for years and got excellent reviews from everyone who tasted it. His secret recipe started out as Kraft Original BBQ Sauce and he added a "few" things to excite the taste buds. Really good stuff. I had hoped to get the recipe from him but now his mind is a bit cloudy and I missed my chance.[p]Spring Chicken

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    WooDoggies,[p]The best I've ever had is Butch's, I get the mild. I pick it up when they come to a local rib fest, but they also sell over the web.[p]The best I've got from a store is Sweet Baby Ray's. They have a web site @ www.sweetbabyrays.com.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

[ul][li]Butch's BBQ Sauces[/ul]
  • Cornfed
    Jethro,[p]I also enjoy Sweet Baby Ray's. Also, it is conveniently sold, for pretty cheap, at most supermarkets near me. As a result, I usually have some on hand for tailgates rather than carting more expensive brands for which I've had to pay shipping.[p]Tasty, flexible, and relatively inexpensive. What more could one ask (...other than going, registering, and getting money, of course...)?
    Cornfed

• Jethro
    Cornfed,[p]Yup for one you can pick up at most grocery stores, it is pretty darn good.[p]Have you tried the Butch's - there from somewher in NJ. They have a couple of Hot version which I know is up your alley.[p]The going, registering and getting money thing is good too.[p]Jethro
  • Cornfed
    Jethro,[p]I've never tried Butch's, but I'll look for it next time I'm shopping. There's this really good supermarket near me with a pretty nice selection of sauces which I'll be going to tomorrow.[p]Hot is definitely up my alley. Also, who knows - maybe Butch is my neighbor in NJ...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    WooDoggies,
    Can't say enough good things about Ken Stone's award-winning Big Chief sauce and Gilded Splinters rub. Can't live without his Crossroads sauce, either.
    Just an unbiased opinion, but you asked for it!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Jethro, Thanks for the tip on Butch's. I have never heard of him even though it is apparently made about 5 mile from where I live. I will probably drive by this afternoon and see if he sells directly from the address on his web site. Thanks again and have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    WooDoggies,[p]If you have a BBq's Galore near you, try the Gates brand of sauce. It's kinda smokey and heavy on the celery seed, but it's got a really good flavor. I've had both the original and the extra hot versions and I will be buying them again.
    BBQ's Galore has 20-30 different sauces available, you should be able to find one you like there. If you talk to a halfway decent clerk you might get some good advice.[p]Another brand that I thought was pretty good is the Jack Daniels sauces, I got mine from a local grocery store. I think the one I had was the hickory flavor, but I can't remember![p]You might want to pick up The book "The Barbeque Bible:
    Rubs, Sauces and Marinades". It has some pretty good sauces, and it's a good starter for ideas and making your own sauce. I've found that experimenting with an established recipe is the easiest way for me to tailor a sauce to my tastes.[p]Hope this helps,
    Kevin

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    WooDoggies,
    Stubb's Original BBQ sauce is pretty durn good. Don't know if it is to be found everywhere though.
    Spring Chicken is on the mark about Kraft. If you mess with it some it can be pretty good. I usually thin it down with a little water, add some orange juice, a shot of wostershire (sic) and maybe a dollop of mustard. YMMV.

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    WooDoggies,
    Didn't read all the prior posts back at 'ya, but I must mention if not already by someone else: Byron Bay Chilli Co., out of Australia!!
    Didn't buy enough of the stuff at the Fiery Foods Show here in Albuquerque last year (missed this year's), the stuff is fabulous, spicy, and among all their various flavors, has a very distinct flavor that I have not found off the shelf or the top of the stove.....anywhere else.
    Go to www.byronbaychilli.com
    Lots of buttons, and links to where you can buy it here stateside. I'm surprised it hasn't enjoyed more widespread distribution. It's one that really sticks out in my mind.
    Big Murth

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cornfed,
    Indeed. Indeed. Shake's sauce is a must have for every cabinet. And I agree with Gretl...Ken Stone's Big Chief is righteous. And has penty of heat kick.[p]Not big on Bone-Suckin though. Just way too sweet for me. Just an opinion![p]Heee back!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Marv
    Jethro, Alberston's sells Sweet Baby Rays

• Marv
    Spring Chicken, Too bad about your dad, I think most of us wish we would have taken in more from our senior friends and relatives when we had the chance.[p]Marv

• Jethro
    Marv ,[p]Give it a try if you haven't - its pretty hard to beat for the price and convenience.[p]Jethro
  • Jethro
    Chuck,[p]If you get some, I'd be interested in hearing what variety and what you think of it.[p]Jethro
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Marv ,
    Amen to that. We don't realize what or how much is lost till it's gone. That pertains to all things, not just "Q"
    Happy Egg-n
    New Bob

• Marv
    Jethro,
    I will have to do that. I have not tried it as of yet. I had some coupons around here some place for $1.00 off.[p]Marv

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Thanks Y'all.
    Notes have been taken, highlighted, gathered and slathered.
    Looks like I've got a little purchasing and 'sperimenting to do.
    Also, need to clear out a rack in the fridge and make sure I mark 'bought on' dates on all the new bottles just to keep track of em all.[p]Cheers and Yuengling's[p]WD