Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On topic...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, each weekend I try to experiment on a new recipe... I didn’t ask for any information last week because I did pizza, and there were enough threads out there to give me plenty of ideas. [p]So, I made a couple of pizza’s and the bottom of the crusts were burnt. I re-read a few posts and attributed this over doneness to the fact that my pizza stone was directly over the coals (I had been using the stone to create an indirect method of cooking for other foods). The next morning I promptly went out and bought some fire bricks. I am assuming that with these I will be able to create decent pizzas without the aforementioned burnt sensation. Am I correct?[p]Also, I have no idea what to prepare for this weekend. The temps here in Omaha are supposed to be pretty nice this Saturday (in the 50's) and the local minor league hockey team will be trying to lock up the league championship. A few hockey fanatic friends of mine would like to have a tailgate party before hand... Sooo, any suggestions on what to make for that venue?[p]Thanks in advance
Matt.

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    South O, you are correct in your assumption. i did 2 pizzas, both on top of a pizza stone that was on top of a ceramic placesetter @400°F and cooked 35-40min til golden edges on the dough (no burnt parts anywhere on the bottom)[p]try this weekend: italian saussauges (indirect heat)or ribs

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    Yep; I made four great pizzas last weekend using stone-over-bricks. Two sundried tomato and kalamata olive, and two onion and roasted red pepper, both with fresh mozzarella, shredded basil, and grated parmesan. No burnt crusts. [p]I don't do turbo temp pizzas; about 450 is good for me; done in about 20 minutes. And...I start them in the pan on top of the stone, and slide them from the pan onto the stone after the crust has set, about 10 min. Crispy, tender crusts. Perfection.

• Gretl,
    Your post prompts a quick question. You said that you do stone over bricks. Since I obviously just got bricks, I haven't played with them yet. Sooo, do I place stone directly on the bricks or do I raise the stone somewhat above the bricks for pizza?[p]Matt.

• South O,[p]Here's how I do pizzas with the bricks and stone. Place several bricks flat on the grill and 1 at either end standing up. They should look something like this |__| from a side view. place a second grill over the bricks, supported by the 2 end ones. Put your stone on top of the second grill. I guess the second grill is redundant, as you could place the stone directly on the standing bricks.[p]--Kevin

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    South O,
    I've done it both ways. The bricks, being square, leave edges of the stone exposed if the stone's flat on the bricks which can result in a burnt edge. Usually I do the "U" configuration with the stone resting on the edges of the raised bricks, protected by the flat bricks. I'm sure probably everyone has his/her own favorite. I have a tendency to be impatient about allowing the stone to get hot enough, which can spell doom to a good crust. Patience is a virtue where pizza is concerned!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    South O,
    Take a refresher look at Cat's ribs. Fabulous and easy to do. Just the thing to build up to the puck drop!