Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to drink while Egging

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    after giving you grief for drinking dewar's, i must confess that i have stooped to a new low. my mom was in town visiting, and she likes sweet cheap white wine. my wife (who will drink anything including the cheap stuff) bought even CHEAPER stuff. a BOX of white pinot grigio.

not a case, but one of those cheap boxes with the pouch of wine in it.

well. mom's back in florida, and there was the box set to go in the trash. i picked it up and it was heavy. even my wife wouldn't drink it. what did stike do? i cut open the box and the pouch and poured it into my glass. my wife stood there mouth agape.

hahaha

ah well.
    so, drink on, my friend, and don't let my dewar's snobbery count fer nuthin.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RichG
    RichG Posts: 8
    I generally don't drink much when I'm cooking. If I'm grilling, I have other stuff to do in the small amount of time. If I'm Q'ing, then much of that happens while I'm sleeping, and/or executing items on the "honey do" list! :cheer: I will usually have a glass of wine (red) or something from the bar poured, but I rarely get to it until I sit down to eat.

When I am eating grilled or Q'd eats, I'm most often drinking a red wine that pairs well (Zinfandel, Syrah, Shiraz, Cabernet.) Of these Zin is my favorite.

Rich
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I'll be myself. Don't sick the spa monkey on me. :laugh:

Mike
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    D*** finally something I can relate to.

Last night did a 4# butterflied stuffed Pork loin on the small and had rum & coke per "Spring Chicken" While prepping.
    While cooking 1 1/2 hours had a couple of Dalmore 12 scotches on the rocks.
    Dinner served for 8 and there was some wine. After dinner was Gran Marnier. Went to bed feeling great, however this am a Bloddy Mary was even better. Just Kidding hehe.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Oh wow. Happy memories indeed. I was at a buddy's bachelor party on Aspen CO and they served up a fresh keg o' Paulaner Heffe Weizen. It was beautiful.

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • You are so right about not many of them travelling well. Beyond that, many of the best German beers will never see this side of the pond due to that fact! When the wife was in the wine business (prior to her getting into the whine business) we were treated to a 10 day trip through Germany. I am not a German wine fan, but it may very well be the holy grail of beer trips! Every little town has its own brewery, most 100's of years old, and 98% of them fantastic drinks!

There is somethimg magical about sipping on some fresh Hacker-Pschorr in Munich!

EDIT: Forgot to add - if you ever get to Austin in summer, a local brewery named Live Oak does a spectacular Hefe! There is a place called Lambert's "Fancy Barbecue" downtown that serves it - it goes exceptionally well with their STELLAR hickory grilled Hanger Steak. Oh man, might have to make a trek out of "the hills" and into town this weekend!

TomM24 wrote:
    Ahhh Hefe as you order it in Germany. Zwei Hefe bitte. Music to my ears. To which the barkeep asks a stupid question ein or halb liter? Paulaner is one of the best imported Hefe Weizens, but they don't travel all that well and there isn't a good domestic example. A fresh keg of Paulaner is a treat.

I haven't brewed any in years, but Hefe Weizen is one beer that isn't too hard to brew and is worth the effort. Even as a novice brewer I could brew Hefe that equaled what I could purchase. With more experience the right amount of clove and body and I had a favorite. Not many people like Hefe so I didn't brew it that often, but it is my favorite! In the early nineties I spent many weeks in Luebeck with a Bavarian coworker, great times and a few Hefe's,very happy memories.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I checked my notes the Weistephan yeast gave the most clove taste. But it was consistent. I blended 50:50 to get a little less clove. Great stuff, a 100% Weistephan batch would definately be a brew you can't buy in the US. Very Floral and best drinked fresh.
  • Early cook - Diet Coke

Evening cook - Cab, Pinot Noir, Bloody Mary, GG on the rocks, or whatever you buy/bring B)
  • stike
    i'll second the maudite, mon frer.

mauditebeerandribeye.jpg
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    My wife went to a spa in Lake Austin a few years ago. Next time maybe I should go to sample the local brew.
  • When flying it is better to go scotch instead of beer for a nice buzz - don't have to go to the head so often.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    This tastes pretty good:

mac_unboxed1_web.jpg

But in a pinch, this will do:

balvenie_doublewood_web.jpg

Cheers,

TRex
  • The Macallan - 25 year old = Liquid Gold
  • Hey, if she can sell you on the major cash for the Lake Austin Spa, you can come down and do the Texas BBQ tour through Lockhart, Luling, Driftwood, etc AND drink Hefe the whole freaking time....she still spends 10 times more than you!

Actually, I see that the Texas Eggfest usually occurs a mere 10 minutes from your bride's spa choice....could be a good excuse!

:evil:

TomM24 wrote:
    My wife went to a spa in Lake Austin a few years ago. Next time maybe I should go to sample the local brew.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    BEER! Homebrew if I got it.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • I second the motion!! Any of you SMS fans ever have the privilige to sample the limited "Century" that macallan put out in the 80's? it was sold in a Waterford Crystal decanter, and allegedly made with some 100+ year old barrels that were discovered in the Macallan aging halls. I had a couple snorts at a New Year's party at the home of a beverage distributor exec....you could smell it 10 feet away! I'm pretty sure it made me sterile! :blink:

Frank in Houma wrote:
    The Macallan - 25 year old = Liquid Gold
  • Thanks Bill. I hope you enjoy it.
  • stike
    "settling" for doublewood.
    i could get along very well with you, my friend.

had some neighborhood dads over for nfl sunday, and we took a "tour of scotland". started with the doublewood. don't remember where we finished
  • Sounds like a good tour....despite not being able to remember it....well, you know what I mean!

stike wrote:
    "settling" for doublewood.
    i could get along very well with you, my friend.

had some neighborhood dads over for nfl sunday, and we took a "tour of scotland". started with the doublewood. don't remember where we finished
  • stike
    scotch and bourbon start out different, but they are grain alcohol in the end....

alcohol is alcohol is alcohol.

the barrels change things a good deal, and the amount of smoke, but alcohol is alcohol is alcohol.

gin ain't nuthin but premium vodka with herbs.

and bourbon and scotch are so close, that arguing about them is like pissin in the wind.

once you distill it, there's nuthin left of the corn or malt. it's pure alcohol on that barrell. after that, it's the barrel you are arguin about.

you like scotch, you just think you don't.

the label is your problem!
    hahaha

beers, mang!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I'm a big fan of mojitos. I make mine with tequila instead of rum.
  • TRex
    The Doublewood has become my gold standard. I save the Mac 25 for very special occasions, but honestly the Doublewood just stands alone in complexity, smoothness, and finish.

Next Eggfest we're both at, that's what we're drinkin', buddy.

TRex
  • TRex
    Liquid Gold, indeed. This was a gift from a VERY generous friend - I don't make a habit of purchasing gold. :blink:

Cheers,

TRex
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Start with a good, cheap dark beer such as Amber Boc or hear lately this all malt porter by Anheuser Bush for about 6 bucks a 6'er. Highley recomend for a good dark beer the working man can afford for more than "a couple". After burn and all is eaten a nice Turkey and h20 on rocks or with Coke depending on mood. Tonight started straight at the Turkey. Had some friends invited to eat. Trex top sirloin and pork chops planed. One of my heffer cows had calf and wouldn't let it suck. Had to rope and drag to pen. Then tye her up so calf could suck. This after working OT today. Burn will have to wait till tomorrow. Turkeys good! lol NEW08060.jpg
  • Bombay Saphire Gin, Squirt and Lime.

Yummy.
  • yes sir, it was you and a canadia guy talking about it that made me try it

9mar07-013.jpg
  • stike
    well see now. a problem. fests are usually summer things, right?

well, then i'm on to tequila and gin. "or", i mean. not "and". not tequila and gin together in the same glass.

though i bet that would be good too.
  • TRex
    Well, my friend, sounds like you've never had a "Summer Scotch" . . . .
  • stike
    do tell!

don't hold back. time's a-wastin.