Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

loading lump???

Options
nodock
nodock Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've have been just dumping a bucket of hot coal on top of whatever is left over from the last cook...I have noticed lately lots of pictures of what looks like a pretty full egg hot almost to the top...should I start clean out after each cook and dump hot coals in the botton and fresh lump on top and just wait??? need some advice....thanks, sorry to be long winded...

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "long winded"? have you read any of my posts...?

i stir the old lump pretty fast, and the ash drops thru the grate. then i dump new lump on top up to the level of the top of the fire box (the break between the upper and lower ceramic bits). then i stir again and try to commingle the old and new a bit.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nodock
    nodock Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks much....sounds like a winner..... :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    meant to say i do all that unlit. then i light the lump IN the egg. sounds like you have a chimney starter?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For me, it depends on what and when I'm cooking. If I'm going to do a big hunk of meat all-day and/or over-night, I clean out any leftover lump, and load up with fresh at least to the top of the fire box. I use a torch most often to just ignite the lump in the Egg. I seperate the leftover lump from ash, and save the leftover.

When I get enough leftover lump, I plan to do something fairly quick, like burgers or chix pieces. That way I don't have to wait as long for the lump to burn clean.

If I've got the time to let the white smoke burn off, and I want to do something that might take a bit longer, I'll mix up old and new lump, but I take as much ash out of the bottom as I can. Depending on the lump, a few cooks can really start clogging the airways.
  • Longknocker
    Options
    I'm not an eggspert by any means but I try and get the little pieces of lump on top and the big pieces on top. Usually I have lump left over from a previous cook so I give it a stir to get the really small peices to fall through the grate then I push the remaining lump to one side then dump fresh lump on the other. From that point I reach in and scoop up with my hands the older smaller lump and put it on top of the new lump and then level all of it. I then ise a mapp torch to light the lump.
    This seems to work for me but after ready stikes post I'm wondering if the new lump should go on the top.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    What I have been doing recently is removing the old lump and cleaning out all the holes and refilling the Firebox with fresh lump and then using the old lump on the top of the almost full firebox.I light the old lump with a torch. It seems to work well and not much burnoff time for the new lump.