Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much butt can she handle?

Options
SacramentoSteve
SacramentoSteve Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to fit two ~8lb pork butts on a large. I'm really trying to use just the one rack so that I know they are cooking at the same temps. Is it too much for her?

Thanks

-SacramentoSteve

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    naw she can handle it

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

you said one level right?

101_0385.jpg

i know this is beef but it is the largest single piece of meat i have had on my large

DSCN0305.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

back to your pork buts i have had 3 8-9pounders on one level

DSCN0336.jpg

dont worry it will fit make sure they are not touching then it will act like two pieces of meat make sure to take temprature of both pieces. they will cook a little diffrently.. after they hit 195-200 wrap in alumionum foil wrap in blankets and place in a hot (one that held some boiling water for a half hour or so) cooler. they are the easiest things to do once you get the hang of it ;)B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SacramentoSteve
    Options
    Thanks BENTE, your gal sure can handle a lot of meat!! I've done a few butts in my time, but never two at once. But with the big game coming up, my gal has to serve a lot of people so I have to put two butts in her.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have enough in my freezer in foodsaver bags that i could cook pulled pork for about 75 without firing up my egg. plus another 40 lbs frozen waiting on their turn to go on the egg....... man i am telling you we need to start a support group :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mtn egger
    Options
    Two butts will be no problem for the large. I would go buy a third one and throw it on also. Like Bente, I think a food saver is a great thing.
    TheEgg003.jpg

Have fun
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Look at that virgin gasket :) Nice bark. BTW what size drip pan do you have in there? It almost looks like it could restrict air flow.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    LOL....

Hi, my name's Jeffersonian, and I'm an Eggaholic.

Hi, Jeff...

But not me. I can stop any time I want. Really :woohoo:
  • Nice catch on the "virgin gasket" in the photo! Must be a staged photo since a gasket can't look like that after use..... ;)

Hope my new one looks that good after my first cook with it!