Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracked egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought an egg that has 2 hairline cracks in it from a local dealer. Have smoked in it without problems a few times-does anyone know of a non toxic compound that would help seal it should the crack grow or widen?[p]Thanks.
RN

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    robert nobleman, if they are truly hairline they will not grow. (One hint, if when you have the a hot fire going and you close the top and bottom dampers and you don't see smoke coming through the crack- it's hairline. If you do see smoke, it's bigger). However, if they are even a bit bigger, you might want to take some furance cement (ACE hardware or Aubuchon online)and paint the inside and outside just trying to work it into the crack. Then ask your dealer for a little green touch-up paint. He should have some. IF not, ask him to ask the BGE HQ to send some small jars. It's also useful for the time when you finally clang a pot on the lip and chip a small piece.[p]There are great artists among us here who have practically reassembled their eggs with furance cement.

• Wise One,
    Or he could have just bought an off-set and not worry about it![p]Metal don't crack when you bang a pot up against it.

• Jolly Roger, [p]LOL ... if I had a metal ... I would try a hammer on it. [p]Just fyi.... I have had the cast aluminum gas BBQ's hinge areas break off when the lid was opend all the way before...just metal fatigue... so... they all can be broken...I have also had metal rust through etc... Ceramic takes the elements much better... also ceramic is a hands down far better insulation material than metal. [p]Here is a simple test... get your metal BBQ up to say 700 deg. and place your bare hand on the lid ... and then.. with the other unburned hand :) place it on a ceramic at the same temperature... you will notice a big difference in the condition of your hands . LOL [p]Ceramic is wonderful for it's safety around children BTW not to mention it retains heat like a thermos. Good stuff to build a cooker out of IMHO.[p]Happy BBQ'ing to you.. metal or ceramic BB

• BB,
    I understand what you are saying, but I'm not into cooking human hands.[p]They may weather well and may be better insultated, but the lid on a 500+lb offset doesn't just 'fall off'.[p]They take a beating better than ceramic, not to mention, much more cooking capacity than an egg.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    BB,[p]LOL ... Now can you help me with the bill from the emergency room for fixing up my hand (the was on the metal BBQ/Smoker![p]smokey.gif
  • Jolly Roger,[p]why do you bang pots on the side of your off-set ? Is that some kind of anger management thing ?

• q person,
    you didn't read Wise One's whole post...[p]"It's also useful for the time when you finally clang a pot on the lip and chip a small piece."[p]Metal offsets don't chip.[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    BB,[p]I don't want to come across as a jerk, your comments on the exterior are not true. If you get a egg up to a steady 700º it will burn your hand. I have measured the exterior temp while doing pizzas with a IR thermometer with the inside temp of 600º and the exterior temp of 465º and higher. This temp will severly burn you. There are many of us that have noticed the wood surrounding the egg sitting in a table will burn. If they didn't get very hot, this wouldn't happen. [p]Ashley

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Jolly Roger, both have their place. I would never try to cook a whole pig or even cook for 100 people using my BGE. However, I would (and do) crank it up to cook a single hamburger. Do you crank up your offset to cook a single burger? It's a matter of preference and need. I understand and appreciate yours. It's not mine.

• robert nobleman,[p]Couldn't you return it as damaged goods? If I was to buy something (let's say a car, with a cracked windshield), I would want them to replace it... Did they charge you full price? If yes, more the reason to ask for an exhange...
  • Zip
    Options
    Jolly Roger or Steve in KC,[p]There are many that post on this board that have offsets, old fashioned smoke houses, brick pits, pellet cookers, and WSM's. As you know each cooker has it's place and each one will shine on specific dishes or quantities of meats. While what you say about a pot banging a offset is true, I'm not sure what your intent is in posting that.
    [p]Ashley

• Zip,[p]No, why would I think you are a Jerk ? You made a good point. I mean a quick rise to 700 deg. as you would do to say sear a steak. The ceramic will not conduct the heat "instantly" like the metal does but of course it will over a long period of time... say 700 deg for an hour. [p]It was white hot when it came out of the kiln when they fired it .. and of course ... with enough heat energy over a long enough period of time... you can make it white hot again. I can say in all honesty... I have had my BGE thermometer wraped around ... and could still touch the dome "quickly" without getting burned. [p]This insulation property of ceramic is exactly why they use it as an insulator on electric heating elements.. soldering irons and such. [p]You made a good point though.. you can get ceramic hot... it just takes much much longer to conduct heat compared to metal.[p]Happy BBQ'ing to you :)[p]
  • Zip,
    Well, not really. I do post under different monikers on different forums.[p]Purpose? Purely trolling :-)[p]

• Smokey,[p]LOL , nice graphic ... and OK... checks in the mail :)[p]Take care of that hand .. BB

• Jolly Rober,[p]I aggree ... LOL ... but thats sort of comparing Green Eggs to Oranges IMHO... or something like that :) [p]For my money... and my living environment... the relatively cool ..compact...and safe cool exterior of the ceramic
    " I have little children" and the fact that I have no room or need for a larger cooker.. the large BGE fits my life and needs perfectly.[p]Now ...for someone doing large cooks ... your setup would be the ticket. There are advantages and disadvantages to most every choice in life... and BBQ's are no exception.[p]For me... ceramic is a blessing....for you ... it would be to restrictive volume wise or ?.. but there is no arguing the insulating qualities of ceramic material. It's a scientific fact and has been used as a heat insulation material for ages and ages since ancient civilization. [p]The question of Is "it right for you ? "..well... thats up to a persons perticular needs.[p]Happy BBQ'ing. BB

• Zip
    Options
    Steve, [p]Honesty is a great thing and with the above post you made me laugh. Don't hesitate in jumping in over here, good advise is always welcome or at least used to be. :-)[p]Have a good one!
    Ashley [p]

• Zip
    Options
    BB,[p]Sorry about that comment about being a jerk. I just cut and pasted from a save message I posted a few years back in a heated thread. [p]ashley
  • Zip,[p]No problem... you made a good point... ceramic can become white hot and burn you... just like someone "can" freeze to death in a 30lb down filled jacket... aka Everest :)grin... but the insulating properties are scientific fact... and the extreme temperatures would have to be held over time for the insulation to become saturated by the cold or heat :)[p] Isn't it neat the way you can pour boiling hot water into a styrofoam cup and pick it up without getting burned ! Insulation is a great thing for a cooker to have IMHO. People make solar BBQ's with cardboard boxes and a piece of glass....some aluminum foil for a reflector. [p]Works on the same principal... the cardboard holds the heat in and on a sunny day here in Ca. you can bake bread in the thing...even chicken.. uses nothing but sunlight.
    Neat stuff this insulation ![p]Take care... BB

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Zip, You know, you just made me think of something. On the tables, why can't a person put a ring of fireplace insulation around the inside of the table ring and then instert the egg? Wouldn't that give it enough insulation against burning the table?[p]Just a thought, I haven't built my table.......yet[p]Marv

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Marv ,
    It might be easier to just cut the opening a little larger around the egg to keep the wood from getting to hot at high temp. cooks.
    Happy Egg-n,
    New Bob

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    New Bob, Yea, I guess you're right, after all, it is supported at the bottom NOT the rim.[p]Marv