Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Enchiladas

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just thought I'd share a recipe with all of you who smoke pork butts on the egg. If you have a lot left over, and you have company coming, try this one.[p]The first time I did this, I couldn't believe how good it turn out. And it gets better everytime I make it. The filling, by itself, is to die for. It's hard to keep from eating it right out of the pan.
[ul][li]Pulled Pork Enchiladas[/ul]

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    06_22_0017_57_01_small.jpg
    <p />DavidR, I totally agree - it's one of the best uses for extra PP that I've come across! :~}

[ul][li]PP Enchiladas [/ul]
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    DavidR,

Leftover smoked chicken also makes great enchiladas. I prefer to make mine the "green" variety with chopped green chiles, sour cream, etc . . .[p]MikeO

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Gfw,[p]That looks better each time you post it. I've got to make 'em again sometime soon. Thanks for the post.[p]Ashley

• MikeInMdsn
    Options
    DavidR,[p]I've done something similar with outstanding results. I don't yet have a perfected recipe jotted down, but for the filler I use lots of butter carmelized onions (sliced thin), pulled pork, a little Mexican three cheese blend, some goat cheese, and just enough enchilida sauce to moisten and bind it all. I'm looking for a good homemade enchilada sauce recipe to replace the expensive canned stuff. [p]I've also gone the green, chicken route. They were good, but didn't compare to the PP red sauce variety.
  • DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    MikeInMdsn,[p]A good enchilada sauce recipe sounds like a nice challenge. Give me awhile to do some hunting.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    MikeInMdsn,[p]Try this homemade enchilada sauce. Of course a good enchilada sauce will depend greatly on the chili powder used. I grind my own, but have made this with a good quality blend from an Internet source.[p]I also use the shredded beef from my briskets for making these. Also good on Quesa's! PLUS......I have a real New Orleans style Tamale recipe that both of these meats do great justice. These are the Tamales sold from the push carts.[p]Easy Enchilada Sauce [p]3 tablespoon(s) Oil
    1 tablespoon Flour
    1/4 cup Chili powder
    2 cup(s) Chicken stock
    10 ounce(s) Tomato paste
    1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
    1 teaspoon Cumin powder
    1/2 teaspoon Salt[p]PREPARATION:
    Heat oil and add flour. Stir until smooth and cook for at least 1 minute.[p]Add chili powder and cook for another 30 seconds.[p]Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.[p]Boil and thenrreduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.[p]This sauce will thicken and smooth.

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    MikeInMdsn, I too have done something simular, but this receipe does sound good.
    I just did a search on Google *homemade enchilada sauce* (be sure you put in the stars at each end) and found several receipes for it.
    Hope this is of help to you.[p]Marv[p]

• Marv , Please let us know if you try an enchilada sauce that really is good. The recipes I've searched and found looks similar to what was posted. I have tasted some very good ones, but haven't known the ingredients.

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    shiek, Will do, although I do love them, we don't have them that often.[p]Marv

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    i found a 5 star rated recipe (don't remember the woman's name or i would have given it):[p]Red Enchilada Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon minced onion
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/4 cup salsa
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cups water

Directions

1 Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
    Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
    Add the onion, oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper,
    salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and tomato sauce.
    2 Mix together and then stir in the water.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer
    for 15 to 20 minutes.

• Marv ,Marv and Chef
    Love them, never make them, can't find em up here in MI. Thanks Chef Arnoldi, I'm going to try this one.