Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pump n seal

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm reading a lot about the vacuum sealer things. Has anyone ever used something like a pump-n-seal? Or one of those rubbermaid-looking creations that has a handle you pull up after the food is in and it creates a vacuum to pull the marinade through the food? Seemed like a good idea![p]Well, Steak experiment did not start today. Instead, laryngitis started today with a throat so swollen I couldn't swallow a steak if it came from a Gerber jar. Soon....soon.[p]mShark[p]

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Sorry to hear you're under the weather. I can't help with the food saver question but would like to wish you a speedy recovery.
    New Bob

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I have heard that the claims of increased penetration of marinades is pretty much not true. There was a discussion on another forum about this very subject. Someone tested using a FoodSaver and the special marinader that they sell. This individual noticed NO difference in taste and also measured the amount of fluid leftover after the process........the amount was close to the same as when he started. [p]This seems to indicate, the marinade was NOT absorbed into the meat. One line of thought on this is that the marinade cannot be absorbed because of the vacuum seal. When you seal, you will notice that the juices will get sucked out of the meat. So, if they are being sucked OUT, then how can you expect to have anything sucked IN?[p]Here is a much easier way to gain maximum pentration of marinades. Let your meat dry for about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.....just like you are aging it. Once the meat is dried out, the marinade will quickly be absorbed into the now dry meat.[p]I learned this by making jerky. The guy who taught me always dried his jerky meat for a couple days. The results are quite eye opening. You will lose between 30-40% of the weight of the meat after 2 days of drying. After marinating for 2 more days, you will gain all of it back plus a little more![p]I personally would never marinate a quality steak..a little rub and some olive oil is all that is needed. [p]Hope this helps you out some![p]Stogie
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Well, I was really looking forward to hearing about your experience with the perfect steak! One other thing I'm going to try is similar to a show that Alton Brown of "good eats" on Food TV did. He took a steak or it might have been a beef roast and let it sit in his refrigerator for several days. The purpose was to dehydrate the meat just a little and the result was to intensify the beef flavors. The guy knows his food...I'll let you know what I think in about a week!.....I hope you get better see ya BobbyG.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Stogie, when drying it out in the refrigerator I assume you do it unwrapped but can it be in a covered container or does it need to be exposed?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bill:[p]Exposed.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Stogie,
    fine...to each his own!
    I just happen to be a believer in the excellent results with the Food Saver. You don't believe it because you don't own one. Fine! Believe whatever you want and obviously you don't want to believe me or others who swear by the results. As Rett said "I don't give a damn!"

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Stogie
    Options
    RRP,[p]Cool down! I have owned a FoodSaver for years....and use it every weekend when I Q. [p]I was simply reporting someone elses findings. Though I have heard this from other folks as well.[p]A few questions for you........how do you know it is really helping? Have you compared in side-by-side taste tests with the same cut of meat? Exactly what are you marinating?[p]On Easter weekend I will do the side by side tests. I have a 12 pound whole strip steak and will cut up and marinade half and cook the others with no marinade. Then I will report back my results. I have several "tasters" and so as not to have a conflict of interest, I will withold my own opinion.[p]I have NO idea what you are marinading or how you are using it....why don't you give me your technique and I will follow it.[p]Chill![p]Stogie
  • Stogie
    Options
    Wise One,[p]As djm said...exposed. Also, be sure to put a pan underneath to catch any drippings.[p]Stogie