Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foccacia???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had success baking a foccacia bread in the Egg? I would assume it's not that much different than cooking a pizza on a stone...A lot here cook pizzas at extremely high temps...I wonder if a lower temp for a longer timneframe wouldn't be better for foccacia??

Comments

• Headhunter,
    Can't help you on cookin' on an egg, but here is an awesome garlic bread recipe once you're done making it![p]You'll need...[p]3 large bulbs of garlic
    olive oil
    stick of butter
    fresh oregano
    fresh basil[p]Cut the top of the bulbs of garlic off about 1/2 inch down to just expose the tops of the individual cloves. Place all 3 on a big sheet of aluminum foil, pour about 2 TBS of olive oil on top of them season w/ salt and pepper.[p]Stick them into a preheated oven (or cooker) at 375 for about 45min to an hour.[p]Remove and spoon the cloves into a fine wire screened sifter/strainer. Press the cloves through the wire. (This will give you roasted garlic paste w/o the skins of the cloves.)[p]Get a nice loaf of artisanal bread (foccacia, or other specialty bread with a nice hard crust but soft innerds with lots of air pockets.[p]Grill the bread, innerd side down for a few minutes to toast it up.[p]While the bread is toasting, combine the roasted garlic paste, room temp butter, 1/3 cup olive oil, TBS of fresh oregano and basil, and combine well into a nice compound butter.[p]Spread this butter over the hot bread nice and thick.[p]Allow it to melt into the bread![p]WOW! Good stuff! [p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Jolly Roger, Roasted garlic (and garlic in general) is one of the few foods that are proven good for you and is just amazing to eat!! We have a restaurant in town called, appropiately enough, 'Garlic's' and their menu is just bursting with garlic recipes. They even have a roasted garlic ice cream which is real nice. The carmelized pieces all frozen up are bursting with sweetness; they say that the natural sugars in garlic when roasted produce sweetness greater than granulated sugar. After trying this ice cream, I believe it! Our local market is having a 'Garlic Festival' in May; can't wait!
    Qfan

• Phil
    Phil Posts: 26
    Options
    Jolly Roger,[p]Thanks Steve (I mean Jolly) that does sound good. Did you change you forum name?[p][p]204.253.151.200
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)
    Post a Followup to Steve in KC[p]Be nice

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Folks from the Bay Area can attest, there's a famous restaraunt in San Francisco that features garlic: The Stinking Rose. I ate there once, and more garlic in a meal I cannot imagine.[p]--sdb
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Headhunter,[p] I have done foccacia and it works well on the BGE. I did it on the plate setter with a kiln shlef on top of that. I think I did it at 400º for about 20-25 minutes per the recipe I found somewhere online.[p]MikeO