Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grill growing mold

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My question/concern is after using the cast iron grill, within a week mold spores start growing. I always clean the grill and get rid of burnt on meat, herbs etc. If anyone has had this problem and knows of a way to stop the mold please let me know.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    burn it off at a higher temp 500-600 for 45 minutes to an hour. 350* for 1 hour on clean metal is surgically sterile. egg will work like a self cleaning oven you will be be left with dust. does wonders for the inside of the egg as well. if it is very dirty you may need a longer time. do not go to a higher temp especially if you have not cleaned your egg. i did the foil ball once or twice but not effectively and then after 2 years of build-up decided 950 for an hour was good. i had so much built up grease that it turned to creosote, destroyed the gasket, creosote running down the outside of the egg.tool me 8 hours to clean and re gasket. i run out the lump at least once a month now
    bill
  • kau-boy
    kau-boy Posts: 20
    Options
    What type of oil are you using to season the cast iron after you clean it? That, or the amount you are using may be the problem.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    onehander,[p]You have two responses to your post on the beta forum. It's www.greeneggers.net or just scroll to the top of this page and click on the arrow.[p]They can see your posts from in here, but you can't see theirs.[p]Come on over.