Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

air reduction and low temperatures

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The air holes in the grate and firebox must be getting clogged, for I can't get rapid temp rising. Is there an alternative to emptying all the charcoal and cleaning after every use??[p]rig

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    grate7.jpg
    <p />robert ,[p]Yea, throw away the old ceramic grate and buy a new steel grate from Bge or get a 7" Lodge Cast Iron Trivet. Many more air holes allows faster temp rises and allows a Webber fire cube to start the fires from Under the grate for faster grilling temp fires. I have yet to find a fault with the new steel grates.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's[/ul]
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    robert ,
    I use a piece of wire from a coat hanger, bend an end up at 90 degrees and about 1 inch long. I then use this to clean out the grate holes from the bottom. Works great, never had to empty out the lump to clean for good air flow.
    B D

• Tim M,
    Thanks. Where do I get a large bge steel or 7" lodge cast iron trivet???[p]rig

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    robert,[p]Try this link. It is where I got mine.

[ul][li]Lodge[/ul]
  • robert,
    Yet another alternative to what Tim has told you is to buy a cast iron floor drain available at good hardware stores or plumbing supply shops.

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I see an 8" Lodge cast iron trivet on the Lodge Web site. Will that do for a large Egg?[p]Thanks,[p]David[p]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Tim M,
    I agree with Tim. My ceramic grate just fell apart one day. I called BGE and they promptly shipped a metal one (I paid shipping). I like it a lot better than the ceramic one. I first thought about seeing if I could have one made or substituting something else but I'm more than satisfied with the one they sent. BGE is in the business so I will trust their judgement on such things.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]The steel grate seems to hold up better than cast iron. Someone reported a cast iron trivet that broke - assumably because of an air pocket in the cast or something like that. The iron can heat and bend too. Nature showed me one he had that looked like a basket rather than a flat trivet. The steel holds its shape better. An improvement might be oval or slots rather than round holes, but it works much better than the ceramic grates for sure.[p]Tim
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Do you have any trouble with the steel one tipping over when you stir the lump??????? That was the problem I kept having with the trivet until someone told me how to put feet on it.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Tim M, Do you know if BGE has a steel grate for the mini? Thank you.

• Angie2B, I'm not Tim but I betcha dollars to donuts that they don't - however measure the diameter of it and go get a floor drain disc. My local True Value carries them starting as small as 3" in diameter and up to 10".

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Angie2B,
    The same steel great that fits the small fits the mini...I just put steel grates in all my eggs saturday.
    Larry

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    03_27_0009_41_04_small.jpg
    <p />kat, I'll second that! In a few days, my floor drain will reach it's 2nd birthday and it still operates as perfectly as it did in March of 2000 :~}

[ul][li]Floor Drains[/ul]
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Thanks everyone![p]
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    New Bob,
    When I first put the steel one in, I thought it may cause a problem, but it hasn't so far. I stir gently. The one thing I did notice right away is how fast my Egg came up to 550 degrees. I had to slow that sucker down some or it would have gone through the roof. I keep my eye on it a lot better now. [p]Spring Chicken