Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing lump question.

Longknocker
Longknocker Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I stored our lump in our 12' X 14' storage shed outside would it stay dry and not absorb moisture?
The shed is made out of wood with a shingled roof and has an elevated treated lumber floor which I have painted. I also have a shelving unit in the shed I could stack it on.
The only other place I could store the lump would be in our basement.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    shed would be fine, i keep mine in a wet dirt floor basement, only problem with lump being damp is its a little slower to light, but not much slower. when i say wet, you need to wear rubber boots in the spring to get to the pallet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Despite having asked the same question a number of times, I haven't gotten a firm consensus. I Egg in sunny Florida where it is wicked humid during the summer months. Charcoal naturally absorbs moisture and unless it is tightly sealed, it's bound to become laden with H2O if stored in a high-humidity environment. My answer is to keep it indoors where the a/c keeps things dry. I've got some galvanized pails and I'm trying to figure out a way to seal the tops. Perhaps a foam rubber gasket glued around the inside of the lid would work....

Happpy Eggin'!, Rascal
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Rascal,

I live in Utah in a high desert enviroment, very low humidity most of the time. I remember when I went to Florida the humidity was unbelievable.

I store my lump in a shed with a piece of plastic underneith the lump. Outside the shed has a lot of standing snow. Right now we have a whiteout (extremely heavy snow). The humidity is very high.

I picked up two kingsford kaddy's from Home Depot, I think they were $12.99 each. Here is a picture or you can google kingsford kaddy.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=243&PRODID=10020414

These seal tight and keep my lump which is continually exposed to rain and snow all the time. 7" of snow on them right now.

Kent
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    That's neat! thank you!

Rascal
  • I live in Ft. Pierce, Florida and humidity is the same here as everywhere else in Florida - high. I store my lump in a large, plastic bin with a lid that seals but isn't air-tight.....The lump stays dry...no problems.....fires right up and away she goes.....

I left this bin uncovered one evening....rained really hard....bin flooded....and had two bags woth of lump floating....Drained off water....laid lump out to dry on piece of plywood that was underneath the overhang of my shed....it dried out in a couple of days....and it burned just fine...no problems....Seems to me that lump...carbonized wood...isn't as absorbent as charcoal briquettes....and that's because briquettes are comprised of particles...and are more porous......

Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ive had the bag literally rot off the lump leaving a pile, and it still burns fine, damp lump just takes a little while longer to light, thats all, 5-10 minutes. a wet egg is a different story
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it