Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Steak Experiments Start Tomorrow

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My steak experiments get underway tomorrow, assuming this downpour we have stops a little. I refuse to be outdone by these overpriced steakhouses. I'll try rubs, marinades, and a gentle soothing voice. Prime ribeye is the meat of choice. Wish me luck.

Comments

• MollyShark,[p]Good Luck.... let us all know what you find :)[p]Happy Egging BB

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    MollyShark, Are you going to do the taste test like a wine taster does.........
    Swoosh it around in your mouth then spit it out?[p] Personally, I would eat a whole steak for every test, but I guess I'm a pig of sorts.[p]Marv

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MollyShark, suggest you pick one about 1.25 inches thick - a little salt and pepper - do the 2/2/6 at about 700 degrees to a nice medium rare/rare - and forget the rubs, marinates, etc - Just my thoughts :~}

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I'll second that suggestion! The only way to do good steak!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    MollyShark, I have an idea. Why don't you buy about 100lbs of 2 " rib eyes, get a couple of cases of beer and invite a judging panel to tell you when you've got it right? :-) You could probably get a good crew from the forum here. I'm sure NB and Cornfed would join me as volunteers. On second thought, get more beer.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Heeheehee... I'm definitely in! I'd love to do anything I can to advance the art of cooking the perfect cow.[p]Moo,
    Cornfed

• mollyshark
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Will definitely be one of the first of the possibilities. If it comes out perfect, will be the last of the possibilities!
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Ya know...this is NOT a bad idea. I wonder if we could round up a bunch of minis or smalls and just have this giant steak cook-off in my backyard. I'll have to ponder on this. I have a mini and a large (formerly medium but grew). Wonder how many people would fly to Texas for a steak cookoff if I supply the beer and the steaks![p]mShark
  • MollyShark, there is one fool proof way to an excellent steak in my book and the book of several others too who listened to Dr Chicken. To wit:
    Start with a fresh cut of your favorite steak 3 or 4 days ahead of when you want to serve it.
    Trim excess fat
    LIGHTLY dust with Adolph's non-msg non-salt tenderizer.
    generously coat with garlic flavored olive oil
    seal in a Food Saver vacuum bag with a extra dose of oil (the F/S really drives the oil in and tenderizes the meat extremelly well)
    Before cooking remove from pouch and bring to room temp for an hour
    Time and temp is of your liking, but I find 650° dome for 3/3/2 to be perfect for a 1.5" New York strip.
    ^oo^~

• DavidHall
    DavidHall Posts: 19
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I agree completely. I salt and pepper my steaks and once in a while I'll sprinkle on some crushed herbes de Provence. Anything more just detracts from the sublime taste of the steak.[p]If I have a problem with steaks, though, it's that 99% of them are tasteless. Filet mignon, for instance, is like eating cotton balls, and many ribeyes are just too fatty for me. I taste fat but no beef.[p]My favorite non-prime cuts are some of the less common ones: hanger, skirt, and flank steaks. These are very flavorful and have some texture to them. You have to be careful cooking these, though. If you overcook them, even to medium in my opinion, they become tough and unappetizing.
  • Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    kat, I have only done low and slow cooks on my BGE. I would love to try steak because everyone on the forum says it's the very best. However, I have been somewhat afraid to bring the egg to high temperatures (I know that sounds silly but I'm still learning to cook on my large). Here are my questions: 1. What is the process for bringing the egg to a high temperature of 650 degrees? How long does it take and do you wait until all you have are red hot coals to put the steak on the grill? 2. What is the 3/3/2 method for steaks? 3. Are fire flare ups common? [p]I have been wanting to ask these questions for a while on the forum and thought this was a good thread for me to pipe in and ask my beginner questions. Thanks!

• MollyShark,
    Depending on the amount of steaks and beer, everyone![p]Good luck with the great steak search.[p]Matt.

• Peggy,
    caution with temperatures has never killed anybody, but it has perhaps kept them from enjoying steaks on their BGE! I don't know the high degree an egg can be brought to before damage MIGHT occur, but it is well pass the 1000° mark that's for sure so 650° is in the no problem range for sure! I happen to use my small for steaks now, but before used my large for steaks regularly - plus at that time I was going for 700 to 750, but 650 works for me now. As for time it takes? oh 35 to 40 minutes perhaps with vent wide open and no daisey. By that temp the fire will be well spread amongst your lump. For sear purposes your steaks need to go above the hot spot. 3/3/2 just means 3 minutes flip for another 3 minutes and then close the vent completely and put the rain cap on for the remaining 2 minutes called dwell of cooking time. As for your question on flare ups I don't know if you meant from the meat - not too much chance as steaks don't have excess fat to cause flare ups - OTOH if you meant the burnt arm hair flare up when opening after the dwell, yes the "big blue ball" can be a problem, but I assume by now you know to open your vent and burp your dome before opening wide. Good luck and don't worry 650° is nothing for a BGE.

• mollyshark
    Options
    DavidHall,[p]I understand what you're saying on cuts. I don't find much taste in a lot of them either. I am a fan of top sirloin. A whole lot chewier, but great flavor. I like quick cook flank also, especially smothered in sauteed onion. Yum. I do the ribeyes because of the flavor, but you're right on the fat. It can be a little overbearing. I've had it go both ways with strip...some totally tasteless, some great.
  • MollyShark,
    Last weekend I prepared two 2" thick fillets. Mine I cut a pocket into the side and stuffed with about 3 ounces of blue cheese. Seasoned with oive oil and Montreal's steak seasoning. BGE at 700 degrees, 3/3/2 method, perfect medium rare, wife's 3/3/4 for medium. Served with pilaf, and fresh asparagus...OUTSTANDING!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    MollyShark,
    As we can see, when it comes to food we are all a little different, that makes it both a challenge and fun at the same time. I think my favorite steak is porterhouse. I have had filet mignon at Ruth's Chris steakhouse a couple of times, it was good but I and my date felt the filet mignon out of the egg tasted better and was more moist. I did use a little smoke. I put my steaks in for about 5 min. at a low temp. with some chips of choice, then remove and crank it up, 600° or so and then in with the steaks for the final cook. Time of course depends on the thickness, but around 3/3/4
    Looking forward to your results.
    Happy Egg-n,
    New Bob

• Peggy
    Options
    kat, Thanks a lot. I'm going to print and save this in my BGE book.

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    Peggy,
    Just a few more comments on your beginner questions. I've been egging for less than a year. you are absolutely in the right place to learn. As you can tell the egg family we have is more that ready to help. As far as your questions go, 1. Getting a hot fire (650+)is fairly easy. I usually find that starting with fresh "large" lump pieces, placed in first really help in getting a hot temp. Then fill the rest of the way as usual and ignite. You can almost always get a hot temp, but the large pieces have not failed me yet. The 3/3/2 method is 3 minutes one side, 3 minutes second side, then close bother vents for the last two. I find that a 1/2 pound filet about 2" thick is best using 3/3/4, Med rare and perfect. One other thing you may want to pay attnetion to is what part of your grill surface is hotter than others. I've found that if your egg cooking surface was a clock that my egg is hottest at the 3:00 position. something to think about. And dont forget to burp at the high temps....Happy egging...BobbyG.

• Peggy
    Options
    BobbyG,
    One last question, for both you and Kat. If it takes 35 - 40 minutes with the vent wide open and cap off, won't the coals go higher than 650 degrees? Also, my thermostat stops at 550. I guess I need one that goes higher right?

• Peggy,
    the estimate is merely that and weather conditions effect the time. Please don't make book on that as gospel! You need to keep an eye on it say by the time it reaches 500° you're on a roll and 650 won't be far behind. At that point control with your vent opening only as Miss Daisy will hamper it too much.
    As for only 550 on your thermometer I'm confused. The standard BGE dome thermometer is labeled to 750° and then it wraps to higher temps. You must have a substitute and your will obviously fry that one.

• Peggy
    Options
    kat,
    I do have a substitute thermometer. I'm calling Atlanta today to purchase the real thing! So you have a small and a large egg? What do you use each of them for?