Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gyros!

dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll break the mold and go text first.

Its all Randy's fault. I saw those Gryo pictures and thought man I have to have some of that. Of course Chris Hale gets honorable mention as he made them in Atlanta a couple years ago. But Randy's pictures fired the ol synapsis.

The story.

I go buy the stuff to make them last week and no lamb....grrr....another store later and phone call to a third......no luck.....grr grrrrr.

In the evening the lovely bride and I are at Meijers and guess what I find.....ground lamb.

We go home and I actually read the instructions and discover that I need a food processor........grrrrrrr
Being a medical technologist I follow directions and protocols most of the time so I get pretty anal about doing things the way your supposed to. Lamb in the freezer and food processor hunt begins. I hit several stores and look at a few. Talk to you fine folks here and end up corrupted by Chubby Loves wisdom and go the kitchen aide route.

700 watts of food processing power. It didn't whimper once with the 2lbs of lamb in it. That kitchen aide is a champ.

I used Alton Browns recipe. I thought the meat could have been a tad spicier. I've got some Greek seasoning we bought at a Penzey's spice store in Columbus. I might try it next time. Good stuff.

Go light on the oil and vinegar for the sauce. I thought it got a tad runny. I did use a little more than the recipe called for but I had twice as much yogurt.

Gyro.jpg
Gryo1.jpg
Gryo2.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Don't you know that you should always triple the amount of garlic called for in any recipe? I may have to take a look at the KA, my Cuisineart couldn't handle the 2 lbs of meat. I had to do it in 2 batches. -RP
    IMG_0561Medium.jpg
    IMG_0564Medium.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I've got one of those old Cuisnarts with about a 30hp motor in it. Practically need a fork truck to get it onto my counter. I've ground anything and everything in it, and it's never so much as slowed, much less gagged on anything. I oughta stick some lamb in it for gyros...these look yummy.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Mine is probably about 8 years old and it is very heavy. It bogs down when I shred cheese with it and 2 lbs of ground lamb just about stopped it. Must be getting pooped out. -RP-RP
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    They sure are good! I'm waiting for the lamb to go on sale and then I'll make another large batch. We made about 50 or so at work and they were great! I bought the flat bread, right next to the pocket pitas, for a more authentic taste. Just steam them, load them, and fold twice. Great eats!

DSCI0010-4.jpg
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Where did you end up getting the KA processor? I was so happy earlier when I saw the KA 12-cup for $199 at linens and things, so I drove over to the store only to find that they do not have any KA processors in stock. Only Cuisinart.

Any info would be helpful before I end up having to order it online.

Thanks!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I saw it at Lowes for 169. They had it at Macy's too but it was higher than that.

I ordered it from Amazon, with free shipping on Wednesday the 19th. Estimated shipping date was the 21st. I could swear it had a Monday delievery estimate.

It showed up Friday the 21st. Not bad for super saver shipping. I've got a book I ordered the beginning of December with the super saver shipping that still has not shipped. Good thing I'm not in a hurry to get it. I get reminder emails every so often reminding me that they have not shipped it yet :S