Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Groan...ribs last in fridge?

Options
Nameless in St. Louis
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks - Well I thought last Monday night’s grocery purchase of ribs made it to the freezer, and this morning I was proven wrong. Wrapped neatly in the refrigerator I found two packs of ribs.

So, is 6 days in the fridge dangerous to cook or should I toss them, do not pass go?

Rather safe than sorry?
Thanks -

(BTW, I think I'm the one who messed it up - it looks like my storage technique!)

Comments

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Sounds like a good case for scratch and sniff to me. Open and take a whiff. They'll let you know if its been too long. :)
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    If they're wrapped loosley in paper, I'd toss them. If they're in crylovac, there might be a date stamped on it somewhere.

Good luck.
  • Well I suppose the good thing is that they were on sale. Thanks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    a week is not anywhere near dealy, fer crying out loud. but you should never put yourself in the position of guessing anywa. is the fridge below 40 degrees (meaning, 'safe')? do they feel slimy?

smell is not always a good indicator, because they will age a bit and smell different than fresh, but that doesn't mean they are bad.

you don't age pork, per se, but that doesn't mean it won't undergo similar changes.

if it is slimy, and smells truly bad, then, sure, toss them. if they were wrapped loosely, your problem won't be illness, it'll be off flavors maybe.

in general though, don't panic.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Are they cryowrapped or loose in butcher paper. I would think that cryo would be fine, but I'd inspect really close if they were loose wrapped. If you're not sure, err on the side of caution and toss. A case of the screaming mimi's can't be worth whatever you spent finacially.
  • ttt
    ttt Posts: 12
    Options
    Speak fore yorself..summa us like screamin mimi's..heck if it dont happin to me least once a week i start to git fraid I'm packin some extra hard sweet taters whatd make mine eyes bleed to git rid of...twice last year I bent the metal bar pa done put inna outhouse to hole the toilet paper rolls....afta that he put too strap handles on eitha side of the hole for me..I herd him tell momma to go tell sweet tater ass he betta start usinem two...I was shore he was spekin bout my sistah Beulah..cuz won night my roof was leakin an i hadda go sleep inna her room on the floor....an tween you an me...she done sleeps inna nude..an I gess I was onna rong side of the floor inna mornin cuz I seen her ass hangin offa the side of the bed..it done lookt like two giant lumpy sweet taters fightin ova a big ol dirty marble...course later that day momma done tole me I was spose to use them handles...i hate to think poppa done callt me swett tater ass...but I guess he did...i'll tell you what though..i don't play marbles with Beulah no more none neetha...an ifn my roof evah leaks agin...i'm stayin put.....till it got light in that room and i found out where Beulah kept her marbles...I was pretty shure that thing was eetha winkin at me or blowin me kisses..neetha of which I did nuttin to deserve...

StumpBaby