Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indoor use

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to use my Egg indoors in a glassed in porch to grill, bake, open fire enjoyment and also closed for room warmth. Wouldn't it be possible to attach an adjustable/movable flue to the top, then use it like outdoors?

Comments

• Fred Del Grosso,
    By adding a stack or flue you will change the draw of the unit, it will effect the way it cooks. If it is good or bad I can't say but it will be different.
    Jim

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Jim Minion,[p]I agree, plus the flue would have to bend or come off when you opened the dome.[p]You could put it under a commercial vent hood but I doubt anyone would want to do that. [p]Tim
  • Fred Del Grosso,
    I am not an pro in this arena but am pretty sure that someone posted a pic of a mini as a heat source to a large for lower temps smoking... Based upon that, yes, I would think you could vent the exhaust elsewhere without killing vital brain cells. [p]Vital brain cells should be knocked off slowly with your favorite beverage! [p]I am certain that someone else will chime in about this but if it were me, I would do it. With a carbonmonoxide (sp) detector nearby just to be safe.[p]Happy indoor Egging.
    Matt.

• Tim M,
    Commercial hood would be way cost prohibitive.
    Buy a Pop Up Canopy with 3 sides and tie it down for $200
    much better solution.
    Jim[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Fred Del Grosso,[p]
    It can be done, but I would say to call you insurance agent that handles your homeowners policy first. Then proceed to calling a local company that sells and installs vent hoods that normally go in a restaurant. [p]Ashley

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Zip,
    I also imagine that local fire codes might come into play. I'm sure the insurance company would freak out. But the thought of using the egg indoors on nasty weather days sure sounds appealing![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    The Naked Whiz:[p]Venting is the big issue. Having a ceramic cooker on a non-flammable (or retardant) floor and properly vented is no more dangerous than an old cast iron pot-bellied wood burning stove or a fireplace.[p]The practicality of it is something else. Might be a great consideration for the hunt club cabin, but convincing The Princess it is necessary in the prime castle kitchen is something else.
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Fred Del Grosso, If you built a table for it, you could use a down draft from a Jen-Aire like stove. I have a Jen-Aire and the suction (exhaust) is very strong. Sure works to remove the odors from the kitchen when cooking ANYTING.
    I have no idea of the cost of what you would need, but worth checking out.[p]Marv