Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting Coffee?

Options
Kevin F
Kevin F Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone roasted coffee with the BGE? If so, what method did you use?[p]
Thanks for any info you can give

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    flat bottom stainless steel strainer...made a hangle of sorts out of that flat piece of metal that is used in filing cabinets to support hanging file folders. egg about 500. put beans in egg and stood there holding the dome up a bit while moving the handle back and forth with a little flippy motion at the end of each push. like the way chefs flip stuff in a saute pan. peeked in every so often to check roast progress. takes a while and gets old fast standing there shaking the beans and holding up the dome i would put a block between the dome and the egg so you do not have to hold it open. i was happy with the end product.
    bill
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Roasting is an art, and a large learning process, I have had 4 roasters in as many years, none of which is an Egg. We do have a few bean roasters here. You need to keep the beans always moving and listed to the beans crack, that will tell you when its done.
    www.coffeegeek.com for more
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    what kind of roasters do you have? which is your favorite. i have been roasting for a year but just with a the stainer over various heat sources or in the convection oven. thanks
    bill
  • Katodude00
    Options
    We just started roasting coffee and love it. Bought one of these. It is the most reasonalbly priced drum roaster we have seen. http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.behmor.shtml

It works great, but you should read the whole article.

BTW. We had a problem with it. I emailed the manufacturer. They called me back within 2 hours on a SUNDAY. There was a loose connection that they helped me fix, and then sent me some accessories for my trouble. Unbelievable customer service. I highly recommend this machine.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    wow thanks. i get my beans from sweet marias but have not looked at their roaster secection for a while and did not know about this machine. i suspect i will order it today. thanks again , nothing like a new toy to make my weekend.
  • Kevin,[p]That will be tough to do as you need to keep the beans moving at all times. I've roasted my own coffee but never on my BGE.[p]Konrad