Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home for abused egg :-)

Angie2B
Angie2B Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone, I got an egg!!! It's used, but I love it so far. Friday, My husband and I took a road trip to a winery that is about an hour from our home. I knew this town had an egg dealer, so I talked my husband into going and looking at them. They had 2 large ones and there on the floor next to them was this poor little mini. The handle was a little off center, and the dome of the egg didn't mate with the bottom, back by the hinge,(to the point that you could see light through it). I looked through the bottom vent and realized that the firebox hole wasn't lined at all. I thought, "Wow, I bet whoever tried using this mini had a hard time with it." The poor thing still had a firebox full of lump! It was heavily discounted. I asked the owner about it and she said that a sales associate took it home to try ,in order to decide if they wanted to sell them with the larges. She told me he didn't have much luck with it. I showed the bands and the handle to my husband and asked if he could fix them. He said yes so I got an early birthday present! Thanks to lurking on this forum, I knew exactly what was wrong with it and how to fix it and how to use it. Just finished a 6 hour low and slow ham that was out of this world!!! By the way, the egg store owner was fantastic! I was so excited about getting an egg (any egg), that she gave me a BGE apron, fire stater cubes, and a BGE cup holder! WOOHOO!! I WILL be back to buy the big egg off of her as soon as I can afford it. I thought my mini did an outstanding job his first time out here at my home, 6 hours held right at 225 started dropping after about 4 hours opened up the lid and stirred the lump lasted fine till I took it out. This is sooo fun!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Angie2B,
    Welcome to wonderful world of "BGEdom". Just like an injuried puppy you nursed back to health, your mini will show you a lifetime of appreciation!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Angie2B,[p]Congratulations on getting your mini. I got one to go with my large about two months ago, and the wife and I enjoy the hell out of it. [p]How big was that ham that you put in the mini? And how id you keep a steady 225? By using the bottom vent only, or id you use something on the chimney?

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    DavidR,
    You can control the temp very easy with just the bottom vebt.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Angie2B,[p]The mini is a wonderful toy. It was my second egg (after a medium). You'll love steaks on it and people have made great ribs on a mini too![p]Smokey
  • Angie2B, you people are weird, real weird !

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    C'mon now reg, as they say... it takes one to know one.
    And I know you like us or else you wouldn't post here.:~)[p]Angie, I welcome you and your mini to Eggville... our newest residents.[p]WD

• reg,
    Come on now reg, these folks are real nice. Maybe you should adopt a new personna like me and we can all get along.

• Angie2B
    DavidR,
    I am not sure the lbs of the ham. After I got the egg fixed ,I took a look in my freezer to see what I had that I wouldn't mind burning or messing up. (I have never seen these eggs work and it was my first time smoking) Well, after some digging around I came up with part of a ham (I am guessing was about 2.5lbs of meat,plus a big bone) that I was saving for bean soup. I thought I could smoke it and put in beans for tomorrow. I mean this was really "trash" meat with some big bones and grissly. It ended up tasting about 500 times better than the "good" meat I had already used from the original whole ham. It didn't even last an hour, let alone have any left for soup tomorrow. Wow!
    Regarding how I kept the temp, I covered the top with a broken piece of unglazed tile, only leaving 1/4 of an inch open, same way with the bottom slider, 1/4 of an inch. I measured with a ruler. :) It didn't take very long for the temp to drop to 225 and stay there. I was amazed. I sat the ham on an aluminum disposible cake pan that had little log rolls of aluminum foil to keep the ham up out of the juices. It worked great. Next is a whole 4.5lb chicken. I stuck it frozen in the empty egg and it fits so I'm going to try it ! HeHeHe

• WooDoggies, hey WD. you are right for sure, none more weird than me lol. did you do up anything special this weekend ?

• Angie2B
    reg, I know I can't help it ! :-) I got this egg cult thing going. [p]
  • tmesx, ya good point there Doc, maybe you should pick a new handle for me to post under lol. how about Mop since i know he can't post here anymore. ah i'm on the ground now. reg
  • WooDoggies
    Yo Yo reg,
    Being only part Irish I drank a lot of beer in honor of my Irish roots.
    And now my house is filled with the aroma of cooking corned beef and colcanon. Another 45 minutes and I'll be drinking more beer, eatin' traditional fare and trying to dance an island jig I learned in the 4th grade... all at the same time.
    Wish me luck![p]WD

• WooDoggies, good stuff WD, good stuff. yesterday done a variety of different cheese's, olives and two dozen smoked devilled eggs along with and a 5 lb pork loin and wrapped potatoes in the smoker. had a great day. reg

• Mark G
    Mark G Posts: 39
    reg ,
    Smoked Deviled Eggs? Do tell. Or at least post or email a recipe. I love Deviled eggs but never smoked them.
    Mark G

• WooDoggies
    reg, I'm with Mark... I'd like to hear more about those eggs. Sounds like you did have a gooood day. Care to elaborate?[p]WD

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Angie2B:[p]Regarding temperature control, a little practice with cocking the dome vent and dampering the lower vent will do the trick with a Mini.

• WooDoggies, its pretty simple guys, boil the eggs, cool and peel. out of each dozen roll two in you favorite rub then put them on at 85 to 100 degrees for two hrs turning once. i normally use apple for the smoke wood. remove from the smoker,slice and put the yokes in a bowl along with the two whole eggs with the rub. mash with a fork as normal and mix with mayo. fill as per usual. there will be enough filler left over for a toasted sandwich for the cook. [p]reg[p]

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Angie2B, I am very happy for you (and envious too) that you got your egg at a great price.
    I missed a large at a garage sale once because I wanted to think about it. I drove around the block and went back it was gone. They were asking $50. My new one was more than 5 times that. Oh well, live and learn.[p]Good luck and happy cookin'[p]Marv

• WooDoggies
    reg man, Now that does sound very good. Thank you for that.
    My sister is the queen of the deviled egg but your's might be in direct competition.
    Where did you come up with the idea?
    I definately like the reward in the end of a toasted sammy for the cook.[p]WD[p]

• reg, Weird? Weird?[p]I have dealt with some weird people in my days when I was booking bands at the biker bar I ran. Musicians can be strange lot. (Not all musicians fit this description, but some are definitely are on a different wavelength than the rest of us.)[p]The weirdest player I ever encountered had this bumper sticker on his vehicle and it fit him to a "T":[p]"Weird? Don't try to out weird me man. I eat weirder things than you in my cereal bowl!"[p]I never asked him to explain what that meant as the other bumper sticker on his vehicle read:[p]"Only users lose drugs"[p]I figured that was explanation enough.......[p]Beers,[p]Juggy D Bartender[p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Angie2B,
    Welcome and Enjoy!
    My second Egg was a gift from my kids, a Mini, and we haven't used it as much as I thought I would. I'm having a new table built that will include a hallowed sopt for Mr. Small and perhaps I'll use him a little more this summer. We've cooked all winter (such as it's been here) on Mr. Big. Used nearly 3 16 LB bags of lump.
    Remember, you have to stroke Mr. Small and talk to him/her it all comes from being a cult memeber.
    Carey

• Angie2B, congratulations on your egg- hope that you have many enjoyable meals. There is nothing wrong with being fantical about your egg (i am too), matter of fact my wife tells me to stop talking to everyone about my egg- just can't help it![p]