Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer butt chicken/ direct or indirct?????

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should the beer butt chicken be done indrect????? I have him all set to go, sitting on the beer can which is in a small cake pan.
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    New Bob,
    I do mine indirect over a drip pan at 375° for about an hour for a small fryer bird. I usually crank it up over the last 10min to get a nice color and crispy skin.
    Mark

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    New Bob,
    I also do them slower when I want to add smoke. If doing it this way I get the BGE to 250-275° and add wood of choice. I use a polder to tell me when to pull it off.
    Just depends on how fast you need it and if you like it smoked.[p]Mark

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    New Bob,
    I use a Willie's sitter now, but it's the same difference as a can - just more sable - but I always have cooked direct. Last Wednesday I cooked a 4# bird at 350° direct and breast hit 180° in 70 minutes. Had soaked it in buttermilk for 24 hr before and then rinsed and sprayed with olive oil, rubbed with Nature Boy's Ginger rub and then used chardonay in the Willie's instead of beer. Laid a good apple chip smoke on him as well. Ohhhhhh was that a fine meal!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.