Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt temp too high?

toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Attempting my first butt. I had to go out to dinner tonight so I decided to start the cook before I went out. Everything was going fine. I had the egg at about 250ish for about an hour then I went to dinner. Gone for about three hours and I came back and the egg was at 310. The meat therm read 170 after only 4 hours of cooking. is this ok? it is a 8 pound butt and im at about 4 1/3 hours into the cook at the time of this posting. worried it is cooking too fast and worried it was at 310 for too long.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    You'll be fine I think - just back that Egg down to 250ish dome, and also move your thermometer around a bit - you may not be in the coldest part of the meat. You haven't rushed the meat through the plateau, so you should be alright.

Good luck,

TRex
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Butts are very forgiving, I doubt you have done any harm. Tone it down to 275 or so and I bet it will stay around 170 for quite awhile, as that is around the plateau temp. I had one get away from me during the night and dome temp was 400 when I woke up in the morning, and it came out fine, and fast! Relax, and enjoy the smell. I still remember how amazed I was on my first all nighter by how incredibly wonderful that smoking pork smelled :)
    Let us know how it comes out, but I think you'll be fine.
  • do you think I could go pass out for a bit?. The temp seems to be staying at 250. Its been going strong for 5 hours now.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    I think you would be ok for some shut eye. Like the other guys said it's hard to screw up a butt and if the egg has been sitting constant for that long it should be ok. You may want to check on it at some point in the night just in case you lose some fire.
  • toomsdpt,
    Sounds like the meat thermometer is touching the bone in the Boston Butt. A dome temp of 310 isn't the end of the world... I would check everything out and make sure the temperature probe is positioned securely in the meat. Generally when I put a Butt on the egg... I don't open the dome or stick a probe in for at least 12 hours. I just check the dome temp and make sure it is ok during that time. Good luck!
    ~Pharmeggist

• toomsdpt,
    Check out the guru-I will change your life forever!!!

• I cook my butts at 350 to 375. I inject with maple syrup, jack daniels, rub, and some apple juice. In my opinion, they are better when I quick cook them like that. I did both once and everyone who ate them said the one I did at 350 was better.
  • Also want to add that I double foil at internal of 160 and pull at 197. Then in a cooler for 2 hours.