Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aged Beef

Options
elFloyd
elFloyd Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
They thread about High End Steak Places brought out a good point. We can do better of the BGE... our only disadvantage is the raw material. Has anyone tried to age their own beef? Or, where would you find a place that sells aged beef.[p]Just a thought,
elFloyd

Comments

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    elFloyd,
    Alton Brown did an episode on Good Eats on FoodTV where he aged a rib roast in the fridge for 3-4 days. We put in in a plastic container with some holes or other opening at the bottom. I did the same thing with Prime Rib roast for new years and it was fantastic. I guess the idea is to concentrate the flavor because you get quite a bit of liquid out even int he 48 hours I aged it. More info can be found at the FoodTV site I'm sure.
    Mark

• Look in yellow pages for meat wholesalers and call them. Some will sell retail on advance order. Ask the better restaurants and hotels where they get their high-quality beef and call the suppliers. One of Denver's better steak restaurants will sell raw aged prime steaks for home consumption, at a premium price.[p]See link below.

[ul][li]Aging Beef[/ul]

• For safety reasons USDA recommends against home-aging.

[ul][li]Aging Beef At Home [/ul]
  • Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Options
    George,Which of Denver's better steak restaurants will sell raw aged prime steaks for home consumption, at a premium price? I live in Denver, so I'd like to know. Also, does Tony's Meats sell aged meats?[p][p]
  • Birdman, Aurora Summit will sell raw steaks. Call them in advance and they will have your order ready for pickup at an agreed-to time. Tony's claims to have aged meat, but I've had tough top sirloin from them. Other good sources are Lombardi's (Colo distributor of Certified Angus Beef) on Elk (near 48th) and west of Pecos, and Auerbach's on Newport & 48th. At Lombardi's you can get a much better price, per pound, if you buy whole tenderloins, striploins, etc., rather than steaks cut to order, as the meat cutters don't get involved. I'm in the phone book if you wish to call.