Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Home made Pizza & Sauce Recipe

Chef Arnoldi
Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i've been making pizza for many years now, using a regular oven on baking pans. i now make pizza on BGE. My recipe follows:
Sauce:
1 large can crushed tomato (i like hunts).
1 small onion finely chopped.
1 teasp. salt
1 tablsp olive oil
5 grinds of black pepper from my grinder.
1 tablsp basil.
1 tablsp oregano.
saute onions in the olive oil for a few minutes.
add the tomatos, salt, pepper & herbs.
on medium heat stir from time to time cooking for 20 min.[p]Pizza dough:(food processor method)
1 cup water(room temp)
1 pack yeast
1 tablsp olive oil
1 teasp salt
+/-3 cups Breadflour (always best when using yeast)[p]pour water into processor, add yeast - give a quick pulse.
add about 1 cup breadflour, salt & oil - give a few quick pulses.
add 1 1/2 cup more breadflour & process to form a ball- adding more flour as needed. the dough should not be sticky, so adjust the flor used to get a fairly firm, smooth dough.
remove from the processor bowl & place on a floured surface to knead it a few more times by hand.
place the dough in a covered bowl to rise til double +/-1 1/2 hours.
remove from the bowl, punch down & form ino two balls that can be rolled out into 2 12" pizzas.
( you may want to fold over the edges, to give an edge crust/rim to contain sauce & ingredients)
my last BGE bake was @ 400°F 35-40min.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Chef Arnoldi,[p]Thanks for sharing all that - I'll try the sauce sometime since I have yet to find a home made one that I really like. The dough recipe is just what I have used in the past and it does work wel and it makes 2 nice large pies. 12" is a bit much for me and my peels to handle so mine are normally 10"-11". [p]I was intrigued to hear you cook them at 400 for 30-40 min. WOW - never heard that long before. I used to get critised for saying mine sometimes went 15 min at 575° dome. I use a plate setter and pizza stone combo - what setup do you use for 30-40 min cooks??[p]Thanks again - pictured is one of those l2-13" pies I did a few times but now I try to keep them at 10"-11" for easier handling.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's rat hole[/ul]
  • Tim M, I use also a plate setter and pizza stone combo, but my temp is lower (400°F)
    i remove my pizza when the crust starts to get a slight golden color & my cheese has also a light golden hue.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Chef Arnoldi, Sounds like a good one to try. This pie was made from Spin's recipe, it is in the recipe section. It was my first attempt about a year ago and was very good. I'll give your's a try also, thanks for the post. [p]Chuck <><
  • elFloyd
    elFloyd Posts: 50
    BBQ+Chicken+Pizza.jpg?bcdQW58AmaksnJ73
    <p />Tim M,[p]I cooked this one at 425° for 18 minutes. I've got my pizza stone setting on a 10 1/2 cast iron skillet to keep the direct heat off on the stone.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    elFloyd,
    That is one pretty pizza. I think I see some J-peppers on it too. I'm sure is was as good as it looks.[p]Spring Chicken