Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Dutch Ovens

Options
Michael B
Michael B Posts: 986
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IÕve finally decided to buy a dutch oven, for several reasons.[p]Web sites I have visited seem to indicate that a 12 inch oven is the most popular, but IÕve seen advocates for 10 inch and 14 inch also. No real explanations for choosing one over another.[p]So, What size do I get?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I just did a beautiful pot of chili last weekend on my large in a 9 QT 12 inch DO. PUUURRRfecT!
  • Michael B
    Options
    Thanks.
    I just found a great DO site. I have a lot of reading to do.
  • proudpapa56
    Options
    Morning All,
    The 12" (9qt is a deep 12") can be used for the biggest variety of recipes. Pull out your Betty Crocker cookbook and the 12" will work throughout.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I agree. 12" is the most versatile. I assume you are thinking about cast iron and not aluminum.

Now you have to decide between the camp oven with legs or the no leg style.

Another decision is to get a regular cast iron oven or a porcelain lined oven. Again we have both and if I was not going to use the oven for camp cooking I would spend the extra bucks and get a porcelain lined one.

Spacey
  • Ga_Egger
    Options
    Would you mind posting the website? Thanks
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    targets and marshals sometimes have cheap knockoffs that are enameled, they work well in an egg and for egg cooking you wouldnt tell the difference between a lecrueset for 300 dollars and the 50 dollar version. i have both of those and also use a lodge #12 deep camp oven which i prefer over the regular dutch. you need a platesetter or pizza stone to use that one as it has the legs, but whats different is that the cover can be inverted and used as a griddle with that model. its also the better choice if your going to use it on a camp fire. make sure to buy the deep model
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    SpacemanSpiff,
    Do you have the feet on either one? What is better, with or without. Seems like they would be great spacers fot cooks.
    Thanx,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Double-Casserole-Skillet-diameter/dp/B000LEXR0K/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1201008884&sr=8-26
    i bought this one. gives me a skillet with out having to cut the handle off. big enough for my needs but others use larger ones.
    make a frogmore stew in the egg. i bought a thingy from bbq guru that it sits on instead of using the plate setter.
  • proudpapa56
    Options
    Morning Again,
    I'm not a big WalMart fan but they carry that same model 5qt oven/skillet for $41.00.
    I am a big camp dutch oven (the ones with legs) fan. My choice for a first oven would be the Lodge camp 12" 6qt. A completely personal choice, that's why they have 7 models and soon to add an 8th. But we like to take them camping as well as use them at the house. New dutch ovens are easier to hide also, which is why I don't have more than one egg.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Michael,

Legs or no legs... If you are useing the grid the legs will get caught between the rails. The DO will end up not being level and when removing the DO it will have a tendency of some of the legs wedging between the grid rails. A plate setter obviously eliminates that problem.

For a while I used a spacer under the pan to prevent the legs wedging. Just before Christmas I ground off the legs on two of my DO's. Problem solved.

Using a lid in the egg is like taking a shower with a rain coat. May as well put it in the oven.

Walmart has some great China DO's as well as lodge both emamel and traditional. I have Le Creuset but haven't yet put them in the egg. I picked up some of the china models for $21 and $38. My largest was a 16qt stock pot, it is great in the egg.

As far as skillet's, Target had a, I think it was a coleman, which has a removable handle. Neat idea for the egg.

You will love the DO in the egg, I cook stews, pot roasts, all kinds of soups, country style ribs, hunter's breakfeasts, heck just use any DO cook book.

The egg and DO is a great combination, but no lids allowed..lol.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    It all depends on what you want to cook. I have a small collection of Lodge Dutch ovens in 8, 10, 12, and 14" diameters in different depths and types.

In addition to the different sizes, they have different capacities depending on how much you want to cook.

The one that I use most on my Large BGE is my 8 quart, deep, Camp dutch oven that is 12" in diameter.

This is the first one I purchased (on sale at the factory outlet) and still the most used.

I like the camp dutch ovens because they have a wire handle vs other handles that stick out further on the sides. The legs create a nice airspace and sit nicely on the plate setter, they also eliminate the need for a trivit or hot plate when serving. They are designed to use with charcoal briquetes underneath and on the lid so work great for camping in addition to egging.

The deeper models are great for stews, pot roasts, baked beans, chili, etc. The shallower ones are well suited to baking biscuits, cobblers, etc. and frying things.

They all are very versatile and I generally use what will fit in my egg, and what has the capacity to make the quantity of food I need for a particular cook.

I sometimes cook over direct heat using a 'Spider' from www.eggaccesories.com or setting directly on the grid.

Mostly I cook indirect by setting the dutch oven on the plate setter. With my regular, flat bottomed ones I use the little green feet for spacers between the platesetter and cast iron.

There are alot of different and often cheaper sources for cast iron cookware but I really like the quality of the Lodge products. (I also like supporting a company that has been around for over 100yrs and still manufactures here in the USA)

You can check out the different styles and sizes here http://www.lodgemfg.com
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    Options
    Have a 10" Lodge with the legs. Always wish I had gone for the 12". Too many receipes just make it and over the top when stirring. Works in the egg, over briquettes on a hard surface, and on my gas range indoors in a pinch.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Mines a 10 inch seasioning as we speak. Works perfict on my Medium Egg.NEW08044.jpg
  • Michael B
    Options
    Thank you all for the input.
    A couple of you reminded me that even though it doesn't have legs and a recessed top, a cast iron pot is still considered a Dutch oven. Sorry for the slip up on my part. I have 3 CI pots, 2 Lodge and 1 Griswold. What I am shopping for is a Camp Dutch oven.
    {12D86397-608C-47F2-B89B-A8AECB1191EA}_deep_oven_lg.jpg
    I’ve decided to get the Lodge 12 inch camp oven.
    https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3970

Ga_Egger -
    Here you go:
    http://www.idos.com/
    http://www.dutchovendude.com/default.shtml