Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High End Steak Place

Options
2»

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    JDB,[p]Thanks, JDB! I did a few searches on this in the past which also came up inconclusive. Also, as I mentioned I don't think the literature included in the bottle says how old it is. Maybe it is because the various blended scotches are of different ages. As for the price, I think it sells near me for right around $180. My older bro is a pretty classy dude and I thought it was very nice of him to get me a bottle of this fine beverage in return for his bachelor party a week earlier (in addition to some cufflinks from Tiffany...but that's another story, altogether...).[p]Beers tonight. For me, scotch is a rarity. I enjoy it, but fortunately my common tastes are a little less ritzy as I typically enjoy slamming a few moderately priced beers instead of high priced scotch.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Spring Chicken,
    I like the way you think.
    My wife let it slip that a Harley would not cause me a lot of strife if I was to get one.
    Jim

• Here in New York we are fortunate to have access to both great steak houses and places that sell prime beef.[p]I just went to Peter Luger in Brooklyn last week and the porterhouse for two (their specialty) was probably one of the best steaks I've ever had. And $30 is about the going rate at most steak houses in New York. In addition, everything is "a la carte" - you pay for it all.[p]I've cooked prime steaks at home a number of times. It's good but it never comes out as good as in the restaurants.
    I really believe that it's the commercial broilers they use plus the fact that the steak houses get the really select prime beef from the meat packers before the general public has a shot at it.[p]And prime is expensive. At Lobel's (they've been on Martha Stewart)on Madison Avenue in New York it will cost you up to $32 a pound for prime steak!

• Jim Minion,
    Be careful Jim, it could be a setup.

• Yo Juggy![p]My Mom is from Islay, Scotland, the home of the world's best single malt scotch!!! The proper way to do scotch is with a little bit of water, and ice cube can be substituted. The water/ice cube actually opens up the whiskey to it's full flavors. Just whatever you do, don't do a shot all at once. Whiskey was made for sipping and they will look cross-eyed at you if you do it all in one!!! I can't tell ya how many times my Dad would pull out the 50 year old stuff to toast the new year with my buddies and they would almost kill themselves from chugging it! Believe me, the real good stuff, which I don't think ever makes it off the island, is the most unique taste that you can ever have![p]So instead of "beers to you", I'll give you one from over there! While of course toasting with a shot of Bowmore Single Malt 25.[p]Here's looking up yer kilt![p]Scottie

• MollyShark,[p]Your first mistake was not going to a Chicago steak house! Chicago is known for its meat, you should have went to the Chop House if you wanted some of Chicago's best!!! Not a chain restaurant, that has a nice name... That right there should tell you something...

• Aye Scottie, Although I am not learning anything about BBQ in this thread, I have learned quite a lot about another subject that is near and dear to my heart, or should I say palate. With the less expensive brands of Scotch I have always added a cube or two to the drink, but never water. Now I know the reasoning behind this.[p]If I were your dad, I would have killed those guys for chugging 50 year-old Scotch.[p]So did you hear the one about the Scotsman in kilt who wandered home from the pub and passed out under a tree?[p]May your Scotch be older than your lasses! (providing of course BOTH are over the age of 18.)[p]Juggy[p]
  • Scottie,
    If you suggested a bottle of Scotch to someone who never had any before what would you recommend?[p]
    Dylan

• tmesx,
    It's called jewelry, she has been setting me up for years.
    Jim

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I have visited a couple of higher end steak houses in the Dayton Ohio/Columbus area and a Ruths Chris in Denver. By far the Ruths Chris was the best. For me it was the best steak I have ever had eating out. Yes I think I do quite well at home on my own but I think you can't compare the two. JMHO.

• Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Dylan, if I was to suggest one, I would go with a blend like Black Label. Now if you wanted to get some single malt I would go with a Laphroig (sp?) 15 year old. It pretty common here in the states and it will give sonmeone the great taste of single malt. It also won't bankrupt ya either...

• AZGator
    AZGator Posts: 24
    Options
    I have to say I like Ruth's Chris. I haven't been to alot of the places mentioned below, but I'd like to try some of them (Mortons and Flemings are local to me). [p]I also like my steaks on the egg but can't duplicate the RC taste (maybe I should melt butter on my egg steaks and I'll be there).[p]As far as tenderness, flavor, etc., mine are equal but they both taste different and good.[p]I agree RC's is expensive but I can't get that same taste at home yet (just different).[p]Paul