Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracked firebox

Options
ckcgnfshn
ckcgnfshn Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have about a 3 inch crack in my firebox. I know that they say that this is a normal process, but I have only had my XL Egg for about 2 months. I have cooked on it a lot (2-4 times a week). Is this the normal time that it should start showing cracks. Is there anything that I can do for it?

Thanks

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Contact your dealer and or BGE, it is covered under warranty as long as the egg was not bought online or was dropped.

I wouldn't think it should break this quick under normal use.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Some of them break rather quickly, some take years. There is no way to predict it really. There is nothing to do about it except just let it go. Even after it breaks into pieces it is still usable. I am still using mine in four pieces after several years. You can get a warrantee replacement if you like, but then put it away safe and sound until you feel you can't use your broken one any more. I think it is rare though that one gets so broken that it is unusable. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    The dealer can sell you a new firebox. The warranty is a factory issue. A dealer may ease you thru the prossess, but it's still a mfg. warranty. Dealers cannot alter / change mfg. warrantys. The mothership WILL take care of you. Miles ( seller of eggs ) out. Have many good cooks.
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I guess it's all up to the individual dealer. Mine cracked into four pieces and I took a picture of it to my dealer. He said that happens sometimes and reached into a new BGE sitting by the front of the store and took out the firering and firebox. Handed me the firebox and asked if I needed the ring also. Now I call that outstanding customer service.

Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Not true. Dealers should be able to handle warrantee issues. Mine does and has ever since I bought the Egg. I'd say something was wrong if a dealer refused to handle a warrantee claim.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Mine (on a medium) was cracked for a long time before it broke. When it broke, I called my dealer, who told me to bring it in, which I did, and I walked out with a new one.
    That does seem early to show cracks, but if your dealer is a good one, it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    My dealer ordered me a new firebox. Took a few weeks to come in. While waiting I fixed the old one by drilling holes and holding it together with wire and JB Weld. That was 2 years ago. The new firebox is safely packed away in my garage. The repaired one is still functioning fine.

I'm sure someone will chime in about the health benefits of cooking with JB Weld and wire. I figure they cancel out the hazards of using a rutland gasket.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    My first one cracked on the first cook. That was one of the old (don’t go over 350*) clay Eggs and I made the mistake of walking away from it for 10 minutes while it was heating up. When I got back the thermometer was still only reading 150*, but it was on its second trip around the dial. I continued to use that fire box until it was finally in 14 pieces and would not stay stacked in the proper shape.

Readers Digest version:
    Don’t worry about a small crack.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    Timely post -- I just noticed a crack in mine, this weekend. At this point, I don't see a problem with it. Time will tell. Belle's Dad